Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walcott this weekend
Headed North to Walcott. I've never been there before so I'm doing some exploring and hopefully get some smallies in the boat. I'll be there Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday. Any advice? PM's are welcome. I have the boat, the gear, the basic knowledge but its still new water.
Any places to avoid? I'd love to get that out of the way too [Smile]
[signature]
Just an FYI - looks like the dock will be missing but a new one is on the way

http://magicvalley.com/lifestyles/recrea...f3990.html
[signature]
I've got a keel guard so if I'm careful I can pull her up on the bank. Thanks for the heads up.

Any suggestions on where to even start? The plan is to get into some pre spawn smallies.
[signature]
I have only been there once, but everything and every boat was fishing the North side. I did catch a fish or two.
I would watch out for all the points that are around the coves, some of them come way out and are shallow....if I remember correctly.
Good luck. Cant wait to hear how you do.
[signature]
I don't mess with the bass much but the north side is pretty good especially the first two miles. Very good for lunker trout this year. Lots of bass fisherman this past week. Be sure and tilt your motor big time when you put it in and take out at the boat ramp without docks. Absolutely ridiculous that they did away with the old boat docks on the best fishery in the state before the new ones came in. Watch the weather as a south wind makes loading a boat next to impossible with whitecaps in the stern of the boat and you have to find a cove to the west with protection from the wind and wait till the front passes. Does not happen much, usually in the late afternoon. Several of the big coves on the north provide good protection from the west wind. Hard east wind is more difficult but the first and second big cove provides some protection if not a southeasterly. The Kamloops are just incredibly healthy with some 25" fish weighing close to ten pounds. Fish are on top in the early spring and be sure and fish 100 yards behind the boat on the outside rods with the monofilament. If the lake calms the lead core is deadly. Front end of the Alfred Hitchock like turdfly hatch in a couple weeks is usually the best trout fishing of the year with black clouds on the shoreline making bass fishing impossible. Snake River Marina in Burley has the best selection of Rapalas and Lucky Craft pointers in the state by far and are always the best bet for information on Walcott.
[signature]
Awesome! That's great info. I appreciate it.
[signature]
Lots to learn on day one. What a tough grind that was. Me thinks those storms didn't help one bit. It's a little different than what I'm used to but was still able to land a couple... And lose 5!!!!
[signature]
One more
[signature]