Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation Tuesday 04/10
I saw the idea on a YouTube video about rigging pontoons with electric motors. It's actually a simple idea. I removed the head of the Minn Kota and took out the switch that is normally controlled via the twist handle. I extended the wires so I could place the switch inside a plastic electrical control box and I got an old switch knob from an oven in the landfill. The control switch is mount just to the right of my leg and within easy reach while seated.
The steering arrangement uses two cables that are crossed over each other and they are attached to the back edge of my seat. If you click to enlarge my first two photos you can see how the cables are attached to the seat. I used a small gauge stranded wire from the hardware store and made loops on the ends. I then used a snap hook on one end and a screw together chain link on the other end. The cables attach to a 12 inch long piece of 3/4" Sch. 40 PVC that is attached to the electric motor shaft using a 1" PVC "T" fitting that I cut in half and then hose clamped to the shaft.

Because the cables cross over each other they allow me to steer the motor just by turning in my seat. The cables need to be tight and it takes a little practice to steer without over-steering the boat. I find it easy to turn too far and then have to correct. Subtle movements of the seat are all that is need to control the pontoon.

Check YouTube and search for Colorado pontoon boat modifications and you'll find several videos describing the set-up.

I could also send you some close up photos of my design if you want to send me a PM.

edit to add: As you can see in the first two photos, I used some clear plastic tubing to insulate the stranded steel wire. On my first version I shorted the wires on my battery and burned through one of the wires when I tilted the electric motor forward.

Mike
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Starvation Tuesday 04/10 - by TopH2O - 04-11-2018, 01:45 AM
Re: [TopH2O] Starvation Tuesday 04/10 - by WET1 - 04-11-2018, 03:22 AM
Re: [TopH2O] Starvation Tuesday 04/10 - by cdbrc - 04-13-2018, 09:50 PM
Re: [cdbrc] Starvation Tuesday 04/10 - by TopH2O - 04-15-2018, 04:26 AM