Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :)
So with my knee and lung issues, doing much of anything is a struggle including going out and even fishing. So, I decided, my old Reinel boat needed some floor work even though it still holds up just fine, it was developing a couple soft spots and a couple of small holes in it. I knew that if I didnt do something, I wouldnt have a boat at all and it works just fine for me and my brother in law to use on Ririe and a few other Preston area waters. The motor is great even though its a 1972 Johnson, its been well taken care of and has all the power I want and more. I didnt pay much for the set up so it doesnt owe me anything.

But, come this spring I decided that I had to do a little work, not some major floor tear out and then wish the hell I hadnt started the project and I was totally done doing any fishing. I did a lot of reading on floor repairs and learned that most people who started on a simple floor repair who thought that it would only take couple weeks, ended up a couple, many, months later with a boat still sitting there with the floor stripped out and being dry docked for life.

So I thought ok, Ill just get some Flex seal, Gorilla tape and some good waterproof paint and seal the cracks, holes and repaint the floor with non-slip paint.  Then I started looking at it and I had a little more work than that. So, I decided to peal off the vinyl flooring off the back half of the boat and see what I really had. Yep, I had a little more than I thought. The cracks in the fiberglass flooring over the wood were bigger in a couple places and a few more holes, not huge, than I thought. 

(Pictures are attached of where I'm at to date)

So, I proceeded to wash down the fiberglass with a stiff wire brush, soap and water and get it in good condition to put some patch work down.  I remind you that its more of a job to try and kneel on a knee that has 2 failed knee replacements and a 3rd that resulted in nerve and tissue damage and all the while, I'm packing around a oxygen backpack so I can breath due to my pulmonary fibrosis. You should try it some time. lol

Well, I got it all prepared and took some Flex Seal putty I guess its called that, and slopped it into the more major holes and extended beyond the holes for strength. I took the other long crack and put Gorilla waterproof tape over the cracks and then I've sealed that with Flex seal spray. (Thats the white on the floor). 

Now that I have this all done, I'm taking 3/8" wood panel, solid expensive and cutting the wood under the back seats to fit around the gas tank. I have one side cut to fit and have now painted both sides of the wood with what they call [font=helvetica-neue-light, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]BEHR PREMIUM ADVANCED DECKOVER Exterior Wood Coatings. It's not cheap by any sense of the word but I like it because it has rough like sand material mixed in the paint to provide a non-slip surface. So far I really like it as it applies thick as you want and I think once it dries/cures up nice, its going to work great.[/font]

So, I now have the one piece in the shop drying and when both sides are done and cured, I will glue it in place with waterproof Gorilla super construction adhesive. I will then screw it down to hold even tighter and help keep water from seeping under the wood. But, this is why I have covered all the cracks and holes with Flex seal to keep any water from seeping into the underlayment of the boat floor. All that was protecting it before was the fiberglass wood covering and the vinyl floor cover. 

On all edges, joints etc, I will again seal all joints with Flex Seal putty and Gorilla tape then sealed again with Flex Seal spray. I just figured that this 3/8" plywood sealed on all edges would add all the support I needed and keep the floor from rotting any further. This way also, I dont need to strip everything down to the bare wood supports under the floor and it should last me for the rest of the time I need or can use the boat.

So far its been an adventure and I've learned a lot about Flex Seal and Gorilla products as far as sealing the floors, how they work best to be put down and curing time. It definitely takes a bit longer to cure and harden than the directions say.

So, I just thought I'd throw this out here for a giggle or two on something that I thought I'd take up for something to do that was a challenge to me. I can only work on it for a couple hours max per day do to my health issues but, all I have is time Smile lol.

Any suggestions on what you think might help me along the way, shoot away. I might or might not take them, lol, but i can always take the comments, lol.

Here are some pictures of where I'm at so far. Ill keep posting as I progress along the way. Wish me good luck on finishing before this years fishing season is over Sad .

[Image: 20220326-130859.jpg]

[Image: 20220326-130905.jpg]

[Image: 20220326-131002.jpg]

[Image: 20220327-130146.jpg]

[Image: 20220327-130154.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Boat Project Hope Im not Sorry :) - by duksnfish - 03-29-2022, 12:37 PM