Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It May Take Longer to Launch This Summner -KSL
(05-13-2022, 06:20 PM)dubob Wrote:
(05-13-2022, 12:48 AM)mtncat1 Wrote: that's crazy if it's true bob , i can' t see anyone backtracking all the way to evanston for a inspection
Reporters are notorious for inaccurate news reporting.  I dug a little deeper and found out that KSL did NOT give us the whole story.  I called the Northeast Region AIS Office and discussed the article with a DWR employee.  I was not his first caller on this KSL article.

There are going to be some staff shortages this year (2022) at some of the water vessel inspection stations.  If you are going to be fishing any of the Utah venues ( i.e., Flaming Gorge, Bear Lake, etc.)and will be launching your water vessel at a launch where the inspection function is not open (not staffed), then you are on your honor to certify that you have met the AIS requirements and your vessel is mussel free.  If it were determined by a Conservation Officer after you launched that your vessel or its trailer showed evidence of mussel infestation, then you would likely be cited for a violation of the AIS requirements.  If the inspection station is staffed, you are required to have your boat inspected.  Failing to stop at a staffed inspection is also a law violation and you will be cited.

My earlier assumption about living in Vernal and needing to have your vessel inspected by one of the Wyoming inspectors was false.  You do NOT need to go to Evanston or the Anvil Draw Rd stations for an inspection if you will launch at a ramp located in Utah.  If you launch at say Lucerne or Sheep Creek and there isn’t an inspector at that launch, self-certify (if appropriate) and launch.  You’re good to go.  The Utah AIS folks are working with the KSL folks to get a correction to the inaccurate report published on May 9, 2022.

Also, if you are launching on the east side of Bear Lake and getting there through Rich County, you can still launch there without having to drive into Garden City for a boat inspection.  Again, launch on the honor system and self-certify (if true) that your vessel is mussel free.
great news bob thanks for checking into it

Messages In This Thread
RE: It May Take Longer to Launch This Summner -KSL - by mtncat1 - 05-14-2022, 02:37 AM