Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideas for the 2010 -2011 Contest
I prefer brown sugar just FYI.

Last I checked this was a post asking for ideas and changes and you come on and bash all the ideas and tell me not to join if I don't like it and that all the changes were just for me. So instead of attacking, how about you come onto a thread asking for ideas and actually share some ideas to make this tournament better. And if I don't join, who loves ice fishing, tries to gout at least once a week and usually is in the running until the end, who the heck will. An 8 person tournament with only 2 or 3 people posting fish would be a shame considering what this tournament could be.

My thoughts are that under the current format, there is only 2 to 4 fishermen every year competing to place while the other 30 that join stop posting fish. How fun would it be to have 20 or 30 anglers every year competing?. Under the current format, that just won't happen.

As much as I would enjoy a trout only tournament, I enjoy including a panfish or two. If bass and walleye (and maybe even a burbot or carp) could count as panfish, I wouldn't mind three.

I think the problem with the current format is twofold:
1) Musky, Pike and Macs are too big, or in other words, they dominate the competition. No matter the quality of other fish caught, a 36" musky and a 32" mac are going to blow all the other fish out of the water. And most fishermen don't have the money or the time or the desire to target these fish on their days off.
2) Amount of fishing - it is common sense that an angler who fishes three times as much as another is likely going to catch more and bigger fish. And the winners were fishing 2-4 times per week during most of the season.

The solutions I propose are very easy:
1) only 12 fishing days to catch fish for the tournament or one day per week. Before a trip, you post it on your tournament page. After the trip, you can post fish caught from that trip. I am least concerned about this rule change however as I know it is a little bit complicated and hard to enforce.

or

2) only one musky, mac or pike can count

or

3) a simple point system is created that allows for a huge panfish to count as much as a nice trout and a nice trout to count as much as a nice mac/pike/musky. An easy one would be to give panfish 1.5x the length, and trout/bass/walleye to count 1.25X the length. This would at least level the playing field somewhat.

But I do like the idea of allowing SMB/LMB/walleye to count as a panfish, allowing fish from other states to count and having the money go to charity of winners choice.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Ideas for the 2010 -2011 Contest - by tlspyder13 - 10-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Re: [FOD] Ideas for the 2010 -2011 Contest - by Jacksonman - 10-12-2010, 07:57 PM