Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Lincoln Beach 4/2 to 4/10
[Image: 0.jpg] I've fished at Lincoln Beach 5 times since the 2nd. The first time was from the bank with my brother. I caught one small channel. On the other days I fished from my boat. I have gone out with Ice_sled, BLK, and Brookie. We all caught fish each day we went. I have increased my take each day: 1,2,3,4,5. The water temperature has been 50 to start and went up to 55 around noon. All my fish were caught on a FLAIT and a Santee rig tipped with cut white bass. I tried shrimp+worm for a little while but had no success. I mostly fished between the springs and Benjamin Slough in 10 fow. I trolled at what must have been about 1 mph. I caught a total of 15 cats. I found that when I used bigger chunks of wb the fish would latch on to the bait but not get it far enough into their mouths to get hooked so I began using smaller pieces and my hook rate increased. My biggest fish was 29.5" (tied with Ice_sled for biggest fish in the contest) and I also got a couple of 26.5s and a 27. I scooped up a 29"er that was floating dead but Jeff wouldn't score it for the contest for some reason  Wink . April Fools! I'm very suprised that I am doing so well in the contest. I have 83 or 84 points and am in third or fourth place depending on how Jeff scores my last fish. My camera work has been atrocious Blush .  I'll try to make reports on each trip as I go and include a few more details.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Way to go! Your catchinon. Shy
The best is yet to come... if we all survive.
What is a FLAIT?
I tried to go out yesterday but the rope holding down the cover over my engine broke on the the way to the lake. Well the cover flew open and it 1) ripped heat shield off the cover and  2) broke my cover. So now I'm out of commission till i get cover fixed, heat shield just needs stapling back on. This boat is haunting me lol
jbob,  FLAIT is shorthand for "floating bait". It was designed by Piscophilic for catfishing in Utah Lake (I don't know if he based it off something else or if he made it up out of whole cloth). It consists of a couple of bright beads and a Wobble Glo in front of a circle hook. In use it is held on the bottom of the lake by a sinker several inches above the leader. It is about halfway between a FLIG and a Santee rig.
Justin, I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with your boat. When you get it shipshape we'll have to go together.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Craig you are on a roar. If you keeping adding one a day to the sum total and the length keeps going up you might make the North actually take notice. Being locked out of Willard stinks. All we have found in our alternate locations are dinks and suckers.
Thanks for the explanation of a FLAIT. Are there any pics of this rig that you guys wouldn't mind sharing? I'm always interested in different ways of chasing cats in UL
(04-12-2020, 12:39 AM)jbob81 Wrote: Thanks for the explanation of a FLAIT. Are there any pics of this rig that you guys wouldn't mind sharing? I'm always interested in different ways of chasing cats in UL
I'll see what I can do.

(04-12-2020, 12:39 AM)jbob81 Wrote: Thanks for the explanation of a FLAIT. Are there any pics of this rig that you guys wouldn't mind sharing? I'm always interested in different ways of chasing cats in UL

"Flaits" are generally Pisco's term for using a floating "Wobble-Glo" on the line between the sinker and the baited hook.  Like fligs, spin-n-glos and other colorful floating goodies they are designed to add color and keep the bait a bit off the bottom.  Plus, the slanted face of the Wobble-glo acts like the bill on a Rapala...it catches the water and wobbles back and forth.  See pic.
There are a ton of rigs that incorporate colorful floats to add motion or flash and to present the bait above the bottom.  The first was probably the Santee rig...as covered in the attached writeup.  Lots of stuff available in tackle shops and online.  Much of it was originally developed for salmon and steelhead.  But catfish can't read the directions.

[Image: WOBBLE-GLO-2.jpg]  [Image: WOBBLE-GLO-INLINE.jpg] website
Pat to the rescue. Man is there anything you don't know?!!!! Thanks for the information
(04-13-2020, 02:33 AM)jbob81 Wrote: Pat to the rescue. Man is there anything you don't know?!!!! Thanks for the information
Ha!  There is a lot I still do not know.  Every day is a learning experience.  I have had a lot more days than most so I should know a few things by now...if I could just remember them.

I put together that info on using various colorful floatie things to present your bait above the bottom.  But knowing the basics is only the beginning.  On every trip you still have to dope out the right bait, the right float, the right color, the right sinker, the right length of line to the hook, the right speed, etc.  With experience you build up your own mental database of the best solutions based upon previous successes...or failures.  That generally results in being able to make the right choices more often and fine tuning your database.

You are on the right track.  Keep a questioning attitude and an open mind.  Ask questions and listen to the answers. The only stupid question is one you don't ask...and it costs you time, money and/or fish.  And spend some time with your fave search engine online.  Amazing the amount of stuff you can find if you look for it. 

The doctor prescribes more time on the water for R & D.   And keep an ongoing fishing log to record the pertinent data for each trip.  Amazing what you can get out of reading your own scratchings in later years...if you can remember where you keep them.
Pat, I hadn't seen that write up yet, it's really good like all your other ones... Thanks for sharing that, I've been hearing a lot about the Flaits and Santee rigs and wasn't sure what they were either...  Tell you what those Kong fligs are dynamite for me this year, I've started casting them and slow reeling them in and man when those fish grab it, their already on fire... Really makes a fun fish to catch... I need to take my toon out and troll the fligs, but I never get long enough to be worth the set up launch time, so I'm stuck on shore, but the fligs still work well from there... My best fish so far came on the fire tiger kong flig... I drove that monster (like 8 aught) hook right through it's nose so it wasn't coming off..  I'm liking the purple perch flig too... Both seem to be catching fish and floating my big baits in the right zone...  I just wish I knew how to tell where the fish were going to be on any given night?  When they are around, it's a lot of fun, but I've spent too many blank nights when nothing showed up...  So how do those submarine hunting sonars from the planes work?  I want one adapted to find fish in the same way at an affordable price... hook it up to a drone and show me where to fish...  Is that too much to ask for?  Anyway thanks Pat... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-13-2020, 04:00 AM)TubeDude Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 02:33 AM)jbob81 Wrote: Pat to the rescue. Man is there anything you don't know?!!!! Thanks for the information

Ha!  There is a lot I still do not know.  Every day is a learning experience.  I have had a lot more days than most so I should know a few things by now...if I could just remember them.

I put together that info on using various colorful floatie things to present your bait above the bottom.  But knowing the basics is only the beginning.  On every trip you still have to dope out the right bait, the right float, the right color, the right sinker, the right length of line to the hook, the right speed, etc.  With experience you build up your own mental database of the best solutions based upon previous successes...or failures.  That generally results in being able to make the right choices more often and fine tuning your database.

You are on the right track.  Keep a questioning attitude and an open mind.  Ask questions and listen to the answers.
The only stupid question is one you don't ask...and it costs you time, money and/or fish.  And spend some time with your fave search engine online.  Amazing the amount of stuff you can find if you look for it. 

The doctor prescribes more time on the water for R & D.   And keep an ongoing fishing log to record the pertinent data for each trip.  Amazing what you can get out of reading your own scratchings in later years...if you can remember where you keep them.
I thought the saying was, "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."  Wink Big Grin Blush  Sure fits me, anyway.

(04-13-2020, 06:30 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Pat, I hadn't seen that write up yet, it's really good like all your other ones... Thanks for sharing that, I've been hearing a lot about the Flaits and Santee rigs and wasn't sure what they were either...  Tell you what those Kong fligs are dynamite for me this year, I've started casting them and slow reeling them in and man when those fish grab it, their already on fire... Really makes a fun fish to catch... I need to take my toon out and troll the fligs, but I never get long enough to be worth the set up launch time, so I'm stuck on shore, but the fligs still work well from there... My best fish so far came on the fire tiger kong flig... I drove that monster (like 8 aught) hook right through it's nose so it wasn't coming off..  I'm liking the purple perch flig too... Both seem to be catching fish and floating my big baits in the right zone...  I just wish I knew how to tell where the fish were going to be on any given night?  When they are around, it's a lot of fun, but I've spent too many blank nights when nothing showed up...  So how do those submarine hunting sonars from the planes work?  I want one adapted to find fish in the same way at an affordable price... hook it up to a drone and show me where to fish...  Is that too much to ask for?  Anyway thanks Pat... Later Jeff
I think the plane sonars work more for locating large metallic objects...not small squishy smelly objects, like fish.  I think most anglers have fantasized about having X-ray vision...no just for looking through clothes, but for finding fish too.  But then if you could instantly find the fish...without the thrill of the hunt...fishing would just be ho-hum.  Right?  NOT.

Glad the kongs are producing for you.  I have been having good success on a new line of "Big Red" gorilla fligs...made on some big 5/0 red jig hooks I scored.  Last ones in the USA after Matzuo moved out.  They are what I have caught all my best fish on so far this year.  And I have started adding some Smile blades on some.  That's what got my 28 incher. Here's a pic.

[Image: GORILLA-BIG-RED.jpg] [Image: KITTY-ON-SMILEY.jpg]
(04-13-2020, 06:30 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Pat, I hadn't seen that write up yet, it's really good like all your other ones... Thanks for sharing that, I've been hearing a lot about the Flaits and Santee rigs and wasn't sure what they were either...  Tell you what those Kong fligs are dynamite for me this year, I've started casting them and slow reeling them in and man when those fish grab it, their already on fire... Really makes a fun fish to catch... I need to take my toon out and troll the fligs, but I never get long enough to be worth the set up launch time, so I'm stuck on shore, but the fligs still work well from there... My best fish so far came on the fire tiger kong flig... I drove that monster (like 8 aught) hook right through it's nose so it wasn't coming off..  I'm liking the purple perch flig too... Both seem to be catching fish and floating my big baits in the right zone...  I just wish I knew how to tell where the fish were going to be on any given night?  When they are around, it's a lot of fun, but I've spent too many blank nights when nothing showed up...  So how do those submarine hunting sonars from the planes work?  I want one adapted to find fish in the same way at an affordable price... hook it up to a drone and show me where to fish...  Is that too much to ask for?  Anyway thanks Pat... Later Jeff

Jeff, not too sure an airborne sonar system would work very well in your home water up there. Sonar works on impulses (pings) sent out that bounce back and are extrapolated into distance and speed of a moving object. Most of that area around Benson is so shallow, and can be so full of flotsom, airborne sonar would have too many false returns. Sad 
Now, if you could come up with something on the equivalent of the magnetometers that are used by the P3 Orion Sub chasers, but designed instead to read fish skin and scales Huh,  and a long loiter capable RC drone with a dipping sonar buoy and a wireless transmitter to an app on your smart phone, maybe, just MAYBE that would work.  Arrow  Nah, then you would be so busy with all the electro-gadgets that some big Cat would sneek in from a direction you weren't lookin, hit your bait, and take off with your rod and reel.
Kinda like what happend to John a year or so back up there at the Benson bridge.  Tongue
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool