Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice safety
There's a lot of information out there on ice safety and it behooves us all to read some of it even if we think we've got it all down. The latest idea I read about was to be sure to wear a PFD and attach a 50' rope to your waist. That way if you fall through you will float and others can grab your rope and pull you out. I heard a story from a guy that I was fishing by yesterday. Once he broke through the ice out by the springs near Lincoln Beach. Another guy who was right there refused to throw him his rope and my new friend had to get out on his own. Some people! Heartless.

This is probably the most dangerous time of the year to venture out onto the ice. Please be careful and wait for 4 solid inches.

What advice can you all pass on? Do you have any interesting stories to share?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Ice picks and not going alone on sketchy ice.
No one, ever, should say on any public report that the ice is "safe". There is no such thing as "safe ice". There are springs, methane vents, currents, stacked ice, etc. You can be standing on 12" of ice and literally two feet away there is weak ice. Reports should simply state the thickness of the ice and let people make their own decision on whether to venture out. Finally, ALWAYS wear a set of safety ice picks around your neck. They weigh next to nothing, stay out of the way, etc. but if you ever go through (I have three different times) you have them to help you get out.
You know what joatmon calls a person who doesn't wear ice cleats? An ambulance.

Ice safety is no joke, but a little humor can help give a gentle reminder.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

You can fish on 2" safely, but have to be smart about it, have to really check on way out and around the area your fishing, travel light and have a floatation device, ice picks and a throwable rope. I wear ice picks all the time.