Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard...Good News - Bad News
Before launching my tube on Willard last Tuesday I chatted briefly with Chris Penne of DWR.  He was just getting ready to launch with a few other DWR folks on their first netting of Walleyes for the year.  I sent him an email inquiring as to how their initial netting went and the following is his reply.  A synopsis is that it looks good for walleye anglers this year...and into the future.  But the potential outlook for Willard Bay Reservoir is scary.

Found plenty of walleye.  Fish looked great, but none of the females were ready to give eggs.  We're doing a pretty limited take this year as we conduct some experiments.  We've been doing pretty good with the program, but want to focus on working out some kinks that will make us a lot more efficient if we can get them figured out.  We'll be setting nets again Monday and see if the female walleye are getting more ready.

Fishing should be really good this year - the challenge for most is going to be getting their boats on the water.  One of the last reports I heard from the water distributors was that unless we get a big change in precipitation, Willard could hit dead pool by late June or early July.  The fishery should be okay - it will just be typical Utah Lake water levels.  There just won't be much water left in either marina.

Chris
We you can drain Pineview it's OK with me. Oops did I say that sorry boys.
Water picture is bleak. Weber water district has already announced limiting watering lawns to once a week and a 60% reduction to farmers. Well at least us kayakers and tubbers won't be bothered by the power squadron. It will be nice to fish Saturdays and not be run off.
The silver lining is that they'll have ample room to extend the launch ramps. The reality of that silver lining is that by the time the Legislature gets around to funding and planning it, we'll be back to full pool again years from now.

I am now wondering if the Flotilla might be dubious.
Thanks for the info Pat. We will be fishing early and hoping with water restrictions we will be able to fish into those months.

Also if they would divert more water from the weber into the canal during flood stage run off instead of letting it flood Ogden Bay WMA I'm sure it would help put more water in the lake. It all eventually goes into the great salt lake anyway.

Hoping for a wet spring.
In my own case as long as there is at least 2ft. of water in the marinas I can launch and navigate out to the main lake, so I hope it doesn't get lower than that, and it will hopefully discourage people from launching their big wake boats before it gets that low, leaving us fisher folk to do our thing unmolested. Also by the time that it may get un launchable ill be concentrating my efforts chasing Kokes at the Berry and south east Idaho. I prefer to see the silver linings.
Wow.  Now all the boater guys who wanted me to get in their boats with them are trying to hitch a ride in my float tube.  Sorry guys.  I don't do lap sitting...at least for ugly old guy anglers.  Only room for one A****** at a time in my tube. 

I am harkening back to late summer, 2004...at the end of a long drought cycle.  It was much the same as it has been projected to be this year.  Here are a couple of Google Earth pics from that time that show what the water levels are likely to look like.

[Image: WILLARD-2004.jpg]   [Image: WILLARD-2004-2.jpg]

(03-18-2022, 01:46 PM)FatBiker Wrote: Well at least us kayakers and tubbers won't be bothered by the power squadron.  It will be nice to fish Saturdays and not be run off.
Yeah right!  You really expect those "Here, hold my beer and watch this!' yahoo power squadron idiots to worry about low water?  Good luck with that!

[Image: Laughing.gif]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(03-18-2022, 04:10 PM)dubob Wrote:
(03-18-2022, 01:46 PM)FatBiker Wrote: Well at least us kayakers and tubbers won't be bothered by the power squadron.  It will be nice to fish Saturdays and not be run off.
Yeah right!  You really expect those "Here, hold my beer and watch this!' yahoo power squadron idiots to worry about low water?  Good luck with that!

[Image: Laughing.gif]
You are right...as usual.  But I wouldn't be surprised to see a few convert to swamp buggies.

[Image: SWAMP-BUGGY.jpg]
If you watch any of the YouTube videos by broncos guru about idiot boaters at Miami boat ramps, you'll wish he could come to Willard for the fun. (Those vids are a hoot, btw.)
(03-18-2022, 10:32 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: If you watch any of the YouTube videos by broncos guru about idiot boaters at Miami boat ramps, you'll wish he could come to Willard for the fun. (Those vids are a hoot, btw.)

Yes they are I'm a subscriber to bone headed boaters of the week and a frequent watcher of Miami boat ramp. Once again it proves you can't fix stupid!
With all the money floating around Utah this year in the legislature, it would be a PRIME time to dredge the marinas and channels out to the lake so people could access the main lake. I've been involved with dredging at Bear Lake and I can tell you its a LOT less expensive to dredge in low water than it is in higher water. Not sure if they could get it done or whether the BOR would even want/permit the dredging to happen?
(03-19-2022, 03:34 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: With all the money floating around Utah this year in the legislature, it would be a PRIME time to dredge the marinas and channels out to the lake so people could access the main lake.  I've been involved with dredging at Bear Lake and I can tell you its a LOT less expensive to dredge in low water than it is in higher water.  Not sure if they could get it done or whether the BOR would even want/permit the dredging to happen?

I talked to the Willard park manager last year and he had requested the funds to dredge the marina but as he said, it's all a matter of, if they approve his request.
When we dredged the Saratoga Springs Marina Park harbor for the new pumphouse you wouldn’t believe how many phones were in the tailings pond when we were finished.
My daughter signed us up for 4/15 weekend. Wondering if I will have to leave the boat at home.
As both a fishermen & a power squadron boater, I would love to see the marinas dredged, And cleaned up. S marina has a few random big rocks and cement blocks hidden just beneath the water that creates a hazard to all boaters.

TubeDude, Most of us with wakeboard/surf boats have a lot of money tied into our boats, so yes we do care about low water levels. the ones that don't, are the ones with more money then brains and we all want t hem away from the lake equally lol
(03-21-2022, 01:38 PM)TRUBBS Wrote: As both a fishermen & a power squadron boater, I would love to see the marinas dredged, And cleaned up. S marina has a few random big rocks and cement blocks hidden just beneath the water that creates a hazard to all boaters. 

TubeDude, Most of us with wakeboard/surf boats have a lot of money tied into our boats, so yes we do care about low water levels. the ones that don't, are the ones with more money then brains and we all want t hem away from the lake equally lol
Lest there be any misunderstanding, I have no animosity towards any "power squadron" craft...or operators...as long as they show some kind of respect and understanding for other folks on the water who might be adversely affected by wild and crazy antics in their craft.  I think it is great that groups or families can get out and recreate in whatever mode they desire.  My problem is always with the skiers or wakeboarders who are so proud of their craft that they have to show off as closely as possible to small boaters, float tubers, kayakers or tooners.  Never been able to understand why some of them have to "put on a show" within close proximity to the only other folks on the lake, even though there are miles of open water elsewhere.  Can't begin to remember all the times I have got to enjoy the loud music, screams and other commotion of such clowns...and then have them dump their skiers within a few yards of where I am trying to use a stealth approach while fishing.  And then when I voice my displeasure have them yell "you don't own the lake"...as if maybe they think THEY DO.
(03-21-2022, 02:10 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 01:38 PM)TRUBBS Wrote: As both a fishermen & a power squadron boater, I would love to see the marinas dredged, And cleaned up. S marina has a few random big rocks and cement blocks hidden just beneath the water that creates a hazard to all boaters. 

Lest there be any misunderstanding, I have no animosity towards any "power squadron" craft...or operators...as long as they show some kind of respect and understanding for other folks on the water who might be adversely affected by wild and crazy antics in their craft.  I think it is great that groups or families can get out and recreate in whatever mode they desire.  My problem is always with the skiers or wakeboarders who are so proud of their craft that they have to show off as closely as possible to small boaters, float tubers, kayakers or tooners.  Never been able to understand why some of them have to "put on a show" within close proximity to the only other folks on the lake, even though there are miles of open water elsewhere.  Can't begin to remember all the times I have got to enjoy the loud music, screams and other commotion of such clowns...and then have them dump their skiers within a few yards of where I am trying to use a stealth approach while fishing.  And then when I voice my displeasure have them yell "you don't own the lake"...as if maybe they think THEY DO.

I hear the best place to surf is right next to the dike…Iv always wondered how the surfing would be out in the middle of the lake where no one is fishing. ??‍♂️ I’ll probably never know though.
I think I'm just starting to think old, I used to love to ski and board and etc, but now when I get on a lake to fish i want it smooth and calm and no matter where the wake boat goes by on Hyrum the waves about swamp my boat... maybe the new ride will make that less of an issue, but I sure hate waves... I always hope the power squad waits until the fishing slows down before they show up... but there is always someone like I used to be, that wants the glass to ski before the squad shows up, so they are there early throwing waves... Oh well I guess I'm just getting my payback... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I agree with Both WT & WP, thats why Willard is my preferred play lake (I fish the gorge for lakers & Kokes) its big enough that you can get away from everyone else and find a nice little spot to enjoy. I never understood those who like to buzz the shoreline either.