Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ririe Ice
Good morning everyone. So, its been a while since anyone posted up here. With the warmer weather that we are getting and its supposed to be in the mid 40's this next week, whats the ice looking like? Anyone have any ideas when they think ice might start to break up? It should be getting close, we are into spring weather so just hoping things start to move Smile Hope everyone is doing well.
I'd guess it far off from breaking up, I was hoping to get one ice trip in this year there but wasn't able to, might have to wait and come up in the summer sometime and do a bit of fishing, be busy with the boys graduation here soon, so probably be awhile before I can get out.
Just from what we saw two weeks ago, when we were there, I'd be surprised if it breaks up before the 15th of April and it could be later depending on the overnight temps but things are a changing that's for sure, so it could be sooner. We are planning on making our first boat fishing trip tomorrow at Willard.
hey wiper, how did you do at Willard? I had dr appointment in SLC last week and it was wide open and quite a number of boats at the parking lot along the interstate. Originally, the weather had a high temp of 75 in Idaho Falls on Wednesday but they have dialed it back now to in the lower 60's but thats still warm now with substantial snow on Sunday. Typical March spring weather for around here. Back on March 29, 2017 it was my first year going after Kok's and my brother in law and I limited out on our first trip out not know what the crap we were even doing. So, ice was totally gone and we had several days of torrential down pours of rain after that, but, I dont remember any snow days. So, if its gonna be open by the end of March, it does have to start melting soon and fast.

Still gives me time to get my boat up and running and a couple of things fixed on it.

Be safe on the ice if your still going out. It's that time of year that ice can be sketchy and you dont even realize it. We dont need to loose anyone this late in the season.
(03-19-2022, 01:10 PM)duksnfish Wrote: hey wiper, how did you do at Willard? I had dr appointment in SLC last week and it was wide open and quite a number of boats at the parking lot along the interstate. Originally, the weather had a high temp of 75 in Idaho Falls on Wednesday but they have dialed it back now to in the lower 60's but thats still warm now with substantial snow on Sunday.  Typical March spring weather for around here. Back on March 29, 2017 it was my first year going after Kok's and my brother in law and I limited out on our first trip out not know what the crap we were even doing. So, ice was totally gone and we had several days of torrential down pours of rain after that, but, I dont remember any snow days. So, if its gonna be open by the end of March, it does have to start melting soon and fast.

Still gives me time to get my boat up and running and a couple of things fixed on it.

Be safe on the ice if your still going out. It's that time of year that ice can be sketchy and you dont even realize it. We dont need to loose anyone this late in the season.

We did pretty good for our first trip out for the open season of 2022, here is a link to that report:
 https://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/show...id=1100460
As far as Ririe, the temps and the wind up there will be what determines how fast it will melt for sure. I was just going by what I saw at the time and the colder temps. Spring is coming and with it the warmer temps. I'm done with ice fishing for the season. good luck with getting your boat ready.
(03-19-2022, 01:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:  https://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/show...id=1100460
As far as Ririe, the temps and the wind up there will be what determines how fast it will melt for sure. I was just going by what I saw at the time and the colder temps. Spring is coming and with it the warmer temps. I'm done with ice fishing for the season. good luck with getting your boat ready.

nice eating size cats Smile Doesnt Willard have crappie in it? At least that is what I always heard. If so, are they located in any particular place? Might be something to do before the Preston area waters open up for crappie and blue gills. Im out of some good slabs Sad Glad your getting out though. Just looked out my window here at 7:30 and the snow is coming down hard, mean, I can hardly see out to the barn and its about 200ft. I can make it out, but its tough to do. And tomorrow supposed to be sunny and in the 50's, lol. Go figure Idaho spring weather, lol
(03-20-2022, 01:50 PM)duksnfish Wrote:
(03-19-2022, 01:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:  https://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/show...id=1100460

nice eating size cats Smile Doesnt Willard have crappie in it? At least that is what I always heard. If so, are they located in any particular place? Might be something to do before the Preston area waters open up for crappie and blue gills. Im out of some good slabs Sad Glad your getting out though. Just looked out my window here at 7:30 and the snow is coming down hard, mean, I can hardly see out to the barn and its about 200ft. I can make it out, but its tough to do. And tomorrow supposed to be sunny and in the 50's, lol. Go figure Idaho spring weather, lol
Yes it does but they are hard to target except right around spawning time. It good years, where their numbers are high, we start catching them about a month before they spawn. They are hard to catch any other time of the year, they are caught a few here and a few there but it's hard to catch limits. We have even caught them while ice fishing but it has been a number of years since their numbers have been up. 
I think that storm you are getting up North of us is headed this way but it's suppose to start off with rain and then later change to snow. Our mountains could use the snow and I'm sure they will get some out of this storm.
Since it is so quiet on here, I decided to reach out to another place for some information as to the status of Ririe. Im sure Im a day late and dollar short to most of you and to those who arent members but just surf the net to get information for your pleasure being. A friend who has been fishing said that it is totally open and has been for a while. Fishing has been via flat line. Picking up some nice kokanee, not limits but some nice fish along with standard trout, a few small mouth and some perch.

Guess all I can do now is to just dream about getting on Ririe. I was in hopes that I would be further along with my knee surgery and boat repair before having to head back to Illinois end of next week to help mom who we put in assisted living several weeks ago. So, guess all I can do is dream and think about what it will be like when I do get ready to hit the liquid ice Smile

Hope everyone is doing well and hope maybe youve been able to get out some and finally get rid of the winter blues in spite of what we have been getting weather wise around here which really isnt any fun, lol Good luck folks.
Nice, have to get up there when I get some time.
Thanks for the update on Ririe. Good luck with your trip to Illinois, hope it goes well.