Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic fishing concepts.
Seems to me that generalizations rule.

Gotta have a spring bobber. Gotta have a short pole for ice fishing. Fly fishing is the best way to go. Bait fishing kills fish.

What ever happened to the basic principles of catching fish?

I am no expert on the subject, but I thought in order to catch a fish, first you need to know what type of fish you were going to catch. A basic understanding of the target species habits, and prefrences as it relates to food, cover, and structure will give you much more advantage than a spring bobber.

Next knowing where to find fish by understanding seasonal movments, locating structure that holds or funnels fish, and being able to work cover and edges effectivley as they relate to the specific needs of the target species and being able to locate thier food scource will give a guy much more advantage than a short rod.

And understanding the concepts of presentation such as bait choice, size, color, and the applied action given the specific species of fish, available food, cover, and structure and gaining skills in making presentations will net you more fish.

All the time we see generalization after generalization when in fact the art of becoming a skilled angler is in fact a very specific process.

Seems to me that the external elements of flasher versus LCD, short pole versus long rod, are the least important elements and last in line when it comes to actually catching fish.

I hate the generalization that bait fishing kills fish. Its simply not true. Its a poorly thought out generalization.

For example, a guy casting upstream and working a crawler along the bottom of the river, whos bait is always in constant contact with him, and he sets the hook as soon as he gets the bite will not harm a fish. The fish will not be able to take the worm any deeper than he would a fly. Hes gonna get hooked in the lip.

Another example, vertical jigging for lake trout using cut bait. As soon as that fish picks up that chunk of meat and the weight is gone, you are setting the hook. No killed fish there.

Casting a jig and crawler for walleye or pulling a baited spinner harness does not increase fish kill. Neither does pulling a minnow on a down rigger at strawberry.

A broad generalization is made that bait fishing increases mortailty, when in fact its fish that are allowed to take bait and swallow it before they are detected that is the culprit. This generally happens when still fishing with slack line off the bank. But is not, in fact, the majority of bait fishing.

I may be completley wrong here, maybee there is more magic in fishing than I was aware of. The almighty spring bobber, and that magical wonderlure that must be kept secret may be why I dont catch very many fish.

I am just Confused by all the talk of this is better than that, and you have to have this, if you dont you aint doing it right.

When I always was under the impression that undertanding and using basic fishing concepts was what helped a guy gain skills and catch fish.

Dont get me wrong, I love the quality stuff, big powerful fishfinders, high quality rods, and all the stuff that gives you an advantage, and anyone who has ever fished with me knows that I love all that stuff cause I have it. Spare no expense, but I know one thing,

"I can be outfished by a guy with lesser equipment, who uses basic fishing principles better than I do."

And that aint no lie.
[signature]
Hey Predator, we all know very well that what is working now is a thing of the past tomorrow. In other words, I can buy that new $30 hot lure, catch several fish with it, release them, and tomorrow they will be wiser to the color of the lure that I used.

Three guys can fish the same lure and have different results. I'm sure that you are aware of presentation skills. Color is important in a lure, appearance is also important but presentation can mean the difference between catching something to boast about and not catching anything at all.

There are different techniques expecially for tuning spoons, spinners and other lures that will enhance the presentation.

Just remember, the better the presentation, the better the chances are of a good pic wheather you catch and release or catch and eat.
[signature]
Yes my tubed friend.

"[size 1]And understanding the concepts of presentation such as bait choice, size, color, and the applied action given the specific species of fish, available food, cover, and structure and gaining skills in making presentations will net you more fish. "[/size]

[size 1]I forgot to mention in that paragraph, actually its just one long poorly puctuated sentance. That understanding fish location, and presentaion will help to get higher quality fish. [/size]

[size 1]thanks tuben2 for the reminder. [/size]
[signature]
You have a very good point Predator. When I am asked what fly I'm catching all those fish on, I will explain that it is the presentation rather than the fly I'm using that is catching my fish. I have seen fish caught in the lip and played out too long, still have trouble reviving. It is our responsibility as anglers to gain the best knowledge and follow the best practices in catching and releasing the fish that we are not going to keep. I also believe in selective harvest. But I feel that only the DWR has the knowledge to make those decisions for each stream or lake. It is my obligation to follow their guidelines. I also do not think that the price that we pay for licenses is out of line. I do wish that ALL of that money would stay in fish and game budgets. Because we choose to live in a very populated area we have to accept the consequences that pertain to that lifestyle. So much for my soap box DKS.
[signature]
[Smile][blue][size 1]Wow, Predator, that was a lotta words. I'm jealous.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I think you have the same idea I have maintained for a long time. REAL fishing is more about art than science. Modern technology has provided more toys and tools for us anglers, but it still requires that we do our homework...on the water and in the books...to learn how to more effectively use them.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have read a couple of articles over the past few years about guys that "went back to basics", just to see if it has been the fish that have changed...or the folks pursuing them. They dug up some of the oldtime lures and flies, and fished them on primitive rods and reels. And, guess what, they caught fish too.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I love to watch the fishing shows and televised tournaments. The guys that win always give credit to the wonderful new lures their sponsor sells. The guys that lose always have some high tech reason why they missed the money. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]No matter how advanced your equipment, you still need to know your quarry and the water you are fishing. The equipment will help you find fish, if you are in the right place. The new lures will help you catch more fish, if you fish them right. But all the fancy schmancy stuff in the world ain't gonna make a good fisherman out of a dunce that won't learn the basics.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I love your stance on the bait vs artificials thing. I see guys throwing hardbaits rip the lips (or gills) off their fish before releasing them...and then yell at someone fishing with bait. And, as you pointed out, bait is often just an added enticement on lures, and the fish are only lightly hooked and easily released. So, you cannot make a hard and fast generalization.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Same story with catch and release. Seems like we have to have at least a couple of long threads on this issue every year. It always comes down to the same thing. It's a matter of personal preference. No one individual is 100% right or wrong. Use selective harvest and there is always room for some harvest without destroying a fishery. But, that never seems to satisfy the zealots that release injured and dying fish just because they ALWAYS release 100%.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Reminds ya a lot of politics and religion, huh? Anybody who believes as you do is okay. Everybody else is a bunch of idiots. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Wonder how long this thread is gonna get...and who will be the first to throw a hand grenade.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I say all radicals should be machine gunned.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[Wink]very well put.
[signature]
As a lure maker I have to say your wrong you have to have my lures or you wot get fish. hahah JUST KIDDING.

no your right the more you know about the fish, and water your fishing the better chance at getting fish, weather you have that new fishfinder,new $350 pole and that $30 lure. yes they might get you one by chance but the more you know the basics the better you'll be at hooking more often.

take me fishing for musky. when I heard they put them in pineview I ordered 10 musky lures out of a catalog. I ordered 2 musky videos . well I thought that because I had that stuff I knew that I would start to get fish. I gave it 2 years before I started to go after them (I wanted big fish) I put in about 50000000 cast the first few years with out seeing a fish. then they put them in newton. I fished newton all the time for bass and crappie. so I did more reading about musky because now I new the lake. it still took me 2 years to hook my first musky but now I have just run the basics I learned up to newton at pineview and I started to pick up fish most of the time I went. like I tell people that what to know what lure to use to get them I use this or that but you need to fish with what you like not what I like I learned how to fish my lures(learnd the basics)but if I handed you one of my lures and didn't help you on how to fish it then most likely you wont get a fish.

anyway you are right think BASICS.
[signature]
ah, yet another insightful comment, keep them coming!
[signature]