Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volunteers needed to teach kids to fish
The DWR has issued this statement regarding volunteers that are needed to teach kids to fish. This is an excellent opportunity to help out youth in our areas. Things like this keep kids busy and out of trouble, introduces them to our great sport, and gives them self esteem and gets them out of the house and away from the X-box once in awhile. With declining numbers of young fishermen, it's also politically important to have more young fishermen (and women) if we want to ever get any future laws passed regarding wildlife and our way of life. Here's the link if you are interested in helping out:

[url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/news/04-01/volunteers.html"]http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/news/04-01/volunteers.html[/url]

Here's the full text for quick access:

SALT LAKE CITY — Adult volunteers are needed to teach 6- to 13-year-olds about fishing and aquatic resources in communities stretching from Logan to Payson. Volunteers will be helping the Division of Wildlife Resources and the various communities with their community fishing program.

[Image: clear.gif] [Image: pic00001.jpg]
[Image: clear.gif]

Youth fishing clubs have been established in Logan, Brigham City, Ogden, Clinton, Clearfield, Centerville, Farmington, Bountiful, Murray, South Jordan, Orem, Spanish Fork, Salem and Payson in 2004 and each club needs volunteers to help.

Volunteer training will be held in each community in February. The training takes about one day to complete. The clubs of about 40 to 80 children each will be formed by April. To volunteer, or for more information, call Andrew Cushing, urban fisheries biologist for the DWR, at (801) 538-4774 or send an e-mail to him at [url "mailto:AndrewCushing@utah.gov"][#0000ff]AndrewCushing@utah.gov[/#0000ff][/url].

While patience and good communication and teaching skills are needed, Cushing says adults don't need a lot of fishing experience to volunteer. "After training, regardless of the person's fishing skills, I'm sure they'll feel completely comfortable getting together with their youth fishing club," he said.

After training, volunteers will spend about two hours once a week, through the spring and / or summer, teaching children about fish and fishing by fishing with them at a local water.

Cushing says a number of rewards await those who volunteer. "When they see the look on a kid's face, the first time they catch a fish, it'll probably make their whole summer," he said. "Long term, I think they'll feel rewarded by knowing they've helped plug these kids back into a natural environment and have increased these community fishing clubs' stewardship of their own waters."

Cushing says the DWR's community fishing program is designed to introduce young people living in urban settings to fishing. "The DWR has sponsored many fun, one-day fishing events in the past, but a long-term program is needed to make fishing a part of someone's life," he said.

Increasing urbanization along the Wasatch Front, the emphasis on indoor sports and computer activities and less children being introduced to fishing by their families have caused many people to become less connected with their natural, aquatic resources, Cushing said.
[signature]
Cat man, your heart and values are in the right place. I work for Roy City and we are building an urban fishing pond in Roy this year. It won't be stocked until this fall and it won't be open to fishing until after the first of the new year {2005} We missed getting the information in the 2004 proclamation so we can't fish there until 2005. I have talked with Andrew Cushing on several occasions and he is excited to get our pond stocked and the fish growing. We anticipate planting Catfish, Largemouth Bass, Bluegill and seasonal Trout.

We will also be asking for volunteers to teach our youth how to fish. I will post more on this as we get closer to opening the pond.

I would also like to see a BFT derby of some kind to help kick off the opening of the pond.
Any ideas? More to come DKSRenegade
[signature]
I already volunteered myself !
[signature]
thanks for the info will be signing up right away teaching kids about fishing is great

<\\\><
[signature]
It's always good to see other people are willing to help out the kids! So many times Moose and i are trying and it seems there aren't enough of us left to help out.
[signature]
I SIGNED UP TOO!! I HAVE ORIENTATION FOR TEACHERS ON THE 11TH OF FEBRUARY, THE SAME DAY I GET TO HEAR MY NEW BABY'S HEART BEAT FOR THE FIRST TIME.....AND SEE THE BABY TOO, ITS DUE IN SEPT....THE 11TH ACTAULLY SO FAR THEY HAVENT CHANGED THAT......BUT IT IS GOING TO BE A GREAT DAY....TEACH KIDS ABOUT MY FAVORITE THING, FISHING, AND MEET MY NEW ADDITION!!! WOO HOOO I AM STOKED.

LATERS,
[signature]
Hey Badfish, Congratulations on your baby! It's exciting I just heard my first baby's heartbeat about 2 months ago. Last week I found out it's going to be a boy! We're due on July 20th. Exciting stuff.

Glad to see that lots of people are willing to volunteer. If there aren't enough volunteers, some kids will be turned away and will lose the chance to get out there and learn about this incredibly fun (and addicting) passtime!
[signature]