Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 3-11-17
I joined the BL armada Saturday morning out on the rock pile. Broke a little skim ice on the way out but loved the big blue in glass. Narry a ripple for a couple hours so I didn't need an anchor or spot lock to stay on the fish. I chose to jig even though the troller was knocking them dead. Made one mistake on my setup and had put 50' of mono on for ice season so it didn't freeze up on me. Well that was way too stretchy and I missed too many hits throughout the morning, but did manage to stick four fish on the day. My first was the best of the day at 24" and fat. Tried trolling later and picked up one but it didn't pull hard enough to pop the release on the rigger even though it was 21".. The breeze started and I knew my day was about to be cut short. Didn't take long till mild caps were forming so rather than fight it, I headed to the barn and was loaded and out of there around noon. Fun day, love that sudden stop when jigging followed by the head shake. I did have one really nice fighting fish on for ten seconds that I guess I didn't get the hook set well enough so he decided to let go and leave me hanging. Probably the best fish of the day, but don't they always get away. Anyway looked like others were doing better than I was, but I still had a great time and it was much better than a catfish skunking if I would have stayed home. Later J
[signature]
Nice report, looks like it was a great day!
[signature]
Thanks, it's a fun pond when the weather cooperates and lets you fish for awhile... Was glad to get a couple hours in before it blew me off.. Starting to want one of those electric motors with spot lock... I hate dealing with anchors in 50+ feet of water, but going to have to save for awhile to afford one of those motors... Guess it's time to start saving now... Later J
[signature]
Congrats on getting a few. What was the magical depth? Headed up there Wednesday.[Smile]
[signature]
Nice fish, Skunked. Sounds like a fun trip. Those fish are fatties for sure. Looks like they feasted well during the cisco run.
[signature]
I was fishing from 60 - 45 FOW on the pile, most of my hook ups were around 55 but by 10:30 it seemed like they had all moved out to 65-70 FOW, but some were suspended at around 25 feet down.... I didn't get the trolling thing figured out so don't count on my trolling tips this trip... It was amazing to me how many fish were on the bar early and then it turned to a desert around 10 ish and there wasn't hardly a fish to be found and I was moving around looking for them... But I did find some out in deeper water later on, but the wind had picked up and I couldn't hold a jigging position to try them... Good luck, it should be a fun trip... Later J
[signature]
Yup they are still feasting well on cisco, I ended up keeping the big one (and a 12" whitefish) and there was 4 cisco in her belly when I cleaned her, but she was also getting ripe to spawn (full of big eggs)... Had I known, I would have let her go... I thought cuts spawned in the summer... I had been catching all natives lately so when I got a clipped fish, I was thinking smoked trout so I kept her, now I wished I would have returned her, but oh well I'm sure she will be very tasty... Guess I'll have to go try the catfish next week, and leave the spawners alone...

I seen a trailer with a BFT sticker in the parking lot at the marina and thought it might have been your rig, but I guess not, seen you were at Porcupine and Hyrum instead... I think I counted 12 boats on the rock pile while I was there and back at the marina there must have been at least that many trucks and trailers when I left and several had left before I did... Pretty busy day on the lake... Well good luck and catch ya later J
[signature]
Unfortunately I don't have any BFT swag. I've been meaning to get some but almost feel like I don't deserve it. Maybe once I can make a post on the forum more than once every other month, and actually put some time and effort into a BFT contest (catfish, ice fishing) then maybe I'll have earned my BFT stripes. Sometimes trying to be a responsible adult thing gets in the way of all the fun. Hopefully I'll get out the boat and the home made downriggers soon.

If I were you I wouldn't feel bad about keeping your fish. If you have a hankering for smoked trout and you have a nice legal fish, it only makes sense. Why put back a fish you've put time and effort into only to go buy a mushy , sub-par farm-raised slimer? If I don't feel like eating fish I put them back. I'm sure the native fish will have a good spawn without the help of your lone fish.

Have you ever kept and cured the roe for bait? I have from some rainbows through the ice at Hyrum and it made for some awesome ice fishing bait. Also, should you ever get brave there are recipes for home cured red caviar. I'm not saying that it's my favorite, but I spent a couple years in Russia and they break it out on special occasions. It's usually salmon or trout roe and they serve it on toast with cream cheese or on a half of a hard-boiled egg. However, I'd recommend the Pautzke cure and just tie up some roe sacks for bait. [Wink]
[signature]
No worries or dues required to get BFT swag, just drop by one of the events or catch us out on the pond..I usually have a bumper sticker in the truck. Join one of the contests and drop by the banquet. Last year nearly all got one prize or another. In fact you don't even have to join a contest just come to the get together.

I know a lot of guys love the roe for steelhead, but we fish flies in the group I go with, so I have to leave my bait at home, but I'd like to learn more about making it and the legalities of fishing it. I know the egg patterns are some of my favs in Alaska and on the salmon River. Thanks for the comments and fish should be ready tomorrow. Later J
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]I'd like to learn more about making it and the legalities of fishing it. [/quote]

About making it I just tried a recipe I found online that used salt, borax and anise oil. I think the commercial cures are probably easier/better but I haven't tried them yet.

As far as legality I'm sure page 12 of the proclamation answers that.
[inline Screenshot_2017-03-13-16-46-48.png]
[signature]
Ok thanks I'll have to try that another time, that one fish would have made a bunch of it. Thanks for the info. J
[signature]