Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lindon Sunrise Services 4-16-17
A lot of the sloughs I fish are only a couple feet deep at most, so I'm thinking the side planers may help with not spooking the fish as much... Although I do tend to be right on top of the carp before they spook out of my way, so it must not be the noise that scares them... However, me floating over top would tend to give you an uneasy feeling.. Anyway I'm hoping this will help... We'll see... Later J
[signature]
Always love seeing your fabulous fishing machine. For those worrying about water temp and wading or tubing, Tube Dude got out.... Wait he breaks ice to get out sometimes...Nevermind. Great pics and report as always.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey Brent, you been bravin' the elements a bit too, for those toothy critters. Some nice fish and good eatin'. Good on ya.

No ice breaking for me this year. Yeah, I can handle the cold okay. But color me gone when it is windy. Been far too much wind this year. Howsomever, if I wait for nice calm weather that might be August.

I hear there is a difference between breaking ice and breaking wind.

Have you checked out the potential below the newly opened gates at the pumphouse?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Great post as always Pat,

I'm curious about your technique when fishing bait from a pontoon. You say your bail is open, are you then stationary or are you drifting? Do you snag up often if moving, is your bait right on the bottom or suspended. Is your hook completely buried in the bait, making it weedless? Just trying to learn a little something to help in collecting my own "Eggs"!

Thanks
[signature]
Have not checked the roll gates yet. Usually pick up a few white bass here and there this time of year but so far have only 1 hit my jigs. Usually I hate the wind too but where I have been fishing it is somewhat protected from a south wind. Of course that still means the other 3 directions aint good. Was hoping to see some crappie too but only the handfull I caught right after ice off have obliged.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Welcome aboard. Hope I can answer your questions. I am attaching a couple of excerpts from larger writeups I have put together on Utah Lake and on Float Tubing. Also including a couple of pics of some newer line clip options.

You can fish "open bail" from a boat, tube, toon or from the shore. The idea is to leave the bail open so that the fish can move off a bit without feeling too much resistance. Catfish often don't care, but sometimes they are touch and drop the bait if they feel it pulling back. And you will also catch more touchy species like walleyes with this method.

Most of Utah Lake has a fairly snagless bottom. As long as you use a hook that will be large enough to leave the point slightly exposed...but not too much...you will not get many snags. It takes a balance between bait size, bottom, speed, etc.

When I am dragging a bait around on one rod, I am usually pitching plastics or other lures with the second rod. Sometimes I move slowly along at a steady pace. Other times it is stop and start. If fishing baits on both rods I will also make big S turns from shallower to deeper water to find where the fish are most active.

The attached written material should help with most questions but feel free to pop back in if I have Confused you.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks For the quick reply Pat,
I might have known you'd already have a write-up on open bail techniques. I appreciate your advice and your willingness to share it. Hope to run into you on the water sometime!
Thanks again!
[signature]
"Hope to run into you on the water sometime!"

[#0000FF]Not at full speed, I hope.

I fish mostly during the week. Being retired allows me to avoid the crowds on the weekends. But I do make exceptions when time schedules and/or weather make my plans for me.

Shoot me a PM and let me know where you like to fish and other particulars. Might be able to work out a "hook-up".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Extremely good instructions and information. Looking forward to putting your advise to work in the next few days at Utah lake in my float tube. Thank you very much for your post.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good luck. Hope you do well. There are a lot of good spots around that lake and with the higher water this year we will have more options.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]