Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake 4-22-17
Tony had never caught a catfish before, so although I knew it wasn't ideal conditions (recent storms and on the cool side) we headed to Utah Lake to get him a catfish.

First tried to catch a white bass or two for bait, but we had no luck finding any around The Utah State Park. Saw several folks fishing for them but didn't see any caught. Headed to my honey hole and hoped for the best. I tried a bobber on one rod and the other I fished weightless on the bottom. After a short while, my bobber started moving along the shoreline. I handed the rod to Tony and he hooked and reeled in a 25 1/2" channel cat that fought good for the water being so cool. We caught a few more there and then it died. Tried moving a little ways without success and so I decided that we would give Bird Island a try. We managed a few more cats there.

At one point I hooked something large. It took drag for a long time and I was hoping for either a large cat or a huge walleye. Got it close enough to see in the colored water only to see that I had snagged a large carp in the tail.

We ended up with 7 channel cats for the day, so mission accomplished.

As the last two pictures clearly show, there is a reason it is named Bird Island.

[inline "Utah Lake Tony.jpg"]

[inline "Utah Lake Tony 2.jpg"]

[inline "Bird Island 2.jpg"]

[inline "Bird Island 3.jpg"]
[signature]
That was awesome of you to do. Utah lake cats look like a blast! Glad the weather put a hold on the catching. Thanks for the report!
[signature]
Thanks Kent. The catfish were delicious! My whole family thought they were good as well. I had a great time and can now check off another species off the list. Always an adventure with Kent.
[signature]
I was hopping the water would come up far enough to flood them out, I have left there for some piece and quiet before, what ever you do don't throw the crust of you sandwich out or lasso one, the attack is relentless and they will bomb you.[Wink]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Looks like a good trip. Those cats tug pretty good. I went out last night to worship at the sunset services and landed one 19" walleye, 1 misguided white bass and 1 27" channel. The wind got bad and then it rained so weather wasny great for me either.
[signature]
[quote MSM1970]

...what ever you do don't throw the crust of you sandwich out ...

[/quote]

I wondered out loud Saturday what all of those birds find to eat on that barren island. They must make some food runs to shore.
[signature]
ya the are coming and going all day, they use it just for nesting, but if you offer a little they ALL come for dinner.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Good fish! I was thinking of going down to look for some white bass after work. With this rain I may wait for a better day. When I lived in Arizona my best smallmouth days and a few good white bass days were all in inclement weather, for some reason. But it sounds like we are a ways out from the white bass fishing picking up.
[signature]
A few days ago, I saw a large stringer of white bass on Facebook that were caught while it was raining.
[signature]
one day I am going to have to have you tow me out to BI in my toon and show me how its done.[bobWink]
[signature]
Not sure that I want to tow you the 5 miles or so that it is from the Utah Lake State Park, but would be willing to let you ride inside of the boat sometime.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad to hear your catfish introduction was successful.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Good looking catfish. Kent has set the bar fairly high for future fishing trips.
[signature]
[quote oldfarley]

Kent has set the bar fairly high for future fishing trips.

[/quote]

I certainly hope not.
[signature]