Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another East Canyon Report 5/20
We headed to East Canyon this weekend for a quick over-nighter. My fantasy of breaking away early from work was interrupted by reality and I didn't make it up to the lake until around 7:30 p.m. After setting up camp, we headed down to the day use area on the North end of the lake and threw out some power bait and a worm. We had three poles out and landed 3 rainbows and a surprise lwiper (on the worm) in about 45 min. The action slowed to a halt after the sun went down, so we called it a night.

We got on the water the next morning at about 7:00 a.m. We started trolling two lines on planar boards out either side (Gold Jakes on one and a rainbow rapala on the other) and ran two more lines out the back on lead-core line out two and a half colors (4" RMT Watermelon Dodger with a wedding ring and a worm on one line and a rapala on the other).

The gold Jakes picked up a fish right away and we also had some good action on the dodger/worm combo. We only picked up one fish on the rainbow rapala so we switched them both out for a white Jakes lure with red dots and pop-gear and a worm (both of which picked up a couple of fish).

By 10:15 we had landed 11 rainbows and missed several others. The bite turned off after that and we headed back to the marina around 12:00. We picked up two more just before we reached the buoys, but decided to call it a day anyway. The fish were pretty evenly split between the deep flasher/worm combos and the Jakes lures trolled straight back with only one picked up on a rapala.

This was my first trip to east canyon and we had a great time. The rainbows were nice and chunky and put up a good fight. Thanks to Jmorfish, WesternWalker, and dubob for the tips! I am a pretty new to the game and I appreciate all of the advice that is offered from the members of this group!
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I am thinking EC for tomorrow morning but I will be fishing from shore. Can anyone recommend some good spots that are not too tough to get to (my buddy can't do steep)?

From your report, I think I will try a Jake's first thing.
[signature]
Sorry, wasn't me that posted this report but I might be able to answer your question. EC is pretty much down hill and steep anywhere you want to fish but as long as you don't mind paying the fee to get in the state park, you could be closer to shore and drive to within a small walking distance by parking in the lot, closest to the ramp. You still might need to walk down hill a little but it shouldn't be far, if the lake if full or you could walk down the boat ramp to the shore then walk along the shore to find a spot if it's not too crowded. Good luck.
[signature]