Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Challis Salmon
Im fairly new to salmon fishing, but i'm pretty sure if i read right that the upper salmon opened today for salmon fishing Correct? does that mean that it is open from Salmon all the way to where i like to fish near the Pahsimeroi River? i have only done it once or twice up there and caught i think one myself and that was like 6 years ago. but i was wondering if any of you have ever fished using the plunking style in the salmon river? i know its very snaggy, but i figure i might try it this summer if it stays open long enough for me to get up there. what do you all say or should i just stick to the traditional bobber steelhead set up.
[signature]
It's not open below Challis from what I understood. I've never plunked for Salmon before, but I'm sure in the right situation and with good bait it should work. Fishing might be tough for a while with the high water, but it will also stall the fish a little too. Hopefully there are enough fish to make it interesting.
[signature]
As Steelie said, the river is only open from the highway 93 bridge just south of challis, upstream to the traditional boundary below the sawtooth hatchery weir. I'd also say there are a few holes in that stretch that may lend themselves to plunking, but I've never done it. Water is still high and muddy... an unpredictable year for fish and flows so maybe on this stretch things will shape up and allow us to catch a few!
[signature]