Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear River Carp
Went out to the Bird Refuge the other day to do some fishin' and seen about a dozen bow fisherman shooting carp.
I'm all about getting rid of some of the carp and having a good time doing it but my problem is people leaving them on the bank to rot and stink up the place. Every spot I went and fished had a pile of stinking, rotting, carp bodies.
Throw them back in the river or haul them away if you're going to shoot them! I'm sure the DNR really appreciates picking up carp from the middle of the road. Not bashing on the bow fisherman because I know the people fishing from the bank are to blame to.
(End of rant)

Fishing was ok. Caught a couple smaller cats but nothing contest worthy.

If we keep trashing the place they will probably close down more places to fish and have even more restrictions. Just like the time they said you can't fish at night past the gates because somebody vandalized the buildings out there.
[signature]
As much as I enjoy bowfishing, would like to go out there but per the Federal rules, no archery tackle allowed on refuge property.

I very seldom see Federal guys out there to enforce their rules, like the guys fishing on the bridges between the no fishing from bridge signs.

And as long as you have a valid license the state guys don't care.

The ones shooting or catching the carp should dispose of them properly to keep the smell and garbage down.
[signature]
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
I didn't know you couldn't bow fish out there.

+1 on disposing of the fish properly.
[signature]
I agree Sharksugar went this morning and as the day warmed up the smell got worst. [mad]
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
I don't think the raccoons even eat them when they get that ripe. If they do we're going to see some chunky ones out there.
[signature]
[quote BRL1]As much as I enjoy bowfishing, would like to go out there but per the Federal rules, no archery tackle allowed on refuge property.

I very seldom see Federal guys out there to enforce their rules, like the guys fishing on the bridges between the no fishing from bridge signs.
[/quote]

I Bowfish out there all the time, being careful to dispose of my carcasses, of course. I do not think that the archery rule applies to the BRBR, as I call the office every year to make sure that it is okay to bowfish. I'm always told that wherever you can fish, you can bowfish. I'm curious to know what the actual rules are now though.
[signature]
I was told 2 years ago I couldn't have archery tackle on any refuge property. And was hassled a month ago just for having my bow in my Jeep after I had been to Cutler to shoot fresh bait and then stopped at the refuge to use the bait.

On the Bear River Bird Refuge site there is a list of hunting and fishing regulations Page 3 Says "archery hunting is prohibited on the refuge"

It is also listed again in the Waterfowl guide book pages 27 and 28 under special regulations for national wildlife refuges.

I guess everybody needs to get on the same page if the office is saying it is allowed but the agents in the field are telling some people no.

Maybe each one has different definition of bowhunting and bowfishing.

I wouldn't mind if they opened up some of the flow threws from unit 2 to unit 9 where the carp really stack up but that is already outside of the allowable fishing areas.
[signature]
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
I think it would be considered more fishing than hutning as it's rules are under the fishing guidebook and not the hunting guidebook. I'm not real avid but I do enjoy doing my part in curving the carp population with a stick and string.

It's real easy to puncture that air bladder with an arrow and toss them back in so they sink. Having them float on the surface can create a stinky shoreline somewhere as well.
[signature]
[quote BRL1]I was told 2 years ago I couldn't have archery tackle on any refuge property. And was hassled a month ago just for having my bow in my Jeep after I had been to Cutler to shoot fresh bait and then stopped at the refuge to use the bait.

On the Bear River Bird Refuge site there is a list of hunting and fishing regulations Page 3 Says "archery hunting is prohibited on the refuge"

It is also listed again in the Waterfowl guide book pages 27 and 28 under special regulations for national wildlife refuges.

I guess everybody needs to get on the same page if the office is saying it is allowed but the agents in the field are telling some people no.

Maybe each one has different definition of bowhunting and bowfishing.

I wouldn't mind if they opened up some of the flow threws from unit 2 to unit 9 where the carp really stack up but that is already outside of the allowable fishing areas.[/quote]

easy solution! Take your AR out there and shoot all the carp you want!
[signature]
Just make sure it's steel shot and not lead. You'll be fine... ha
[signature]