Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upper Palisades lake
Has anyone ever been backpacking to the paliSades lakes? We are planning a trip up there in about ten days and wondered how the fishing is and what type of fish are up there? I assume they are cutthroats? Any information would be great! Thanks in advance....
[signature]
I rode past the Upper lake on Thursday, it appears to be pretty high. Camp ground on North end is flooded. Only campers were at camp site about 3/4 the way to South end, no campers anywhere else around the lake.
Saw very few dimples on the water from rising fish.

Ouzel
[signature]
I enjoyed fishing the creek when I was there. I caught a lot more fish and also bigger fish in the stream. Just tossing a worm in with a split shot worked great that was around chicken springs. If we're talking about the eight Mile hike back into the upper PaliSades two lakes
[signature]
How was the water clarity of the creek below the lakes if you don't mind me asking?
[signature]
Water was clear, but high.

Ouzel
[signature]
Yes that is exactly the place. We have never done that hike and for my kids first backpacking trip I am thinking that will be ideal. Did you catch anything other than cuts in the creek? After reading the regulations it says the cutthroats are protected in the creek but didn't specify restrictions on the lakes and only 2 may be kept. I don't normally keep fish but we wanted to make a meal out of them for one of the evenings. I appreciate all of the information.
[signature]
On numerous occasions we have packed a raft into upper lake. Far side in coves we throw standard panther Martin's and have 30 fish chase in. They would also inhale rainbow power bait but the problem with using it is that I swear the treble hooks you can't even see them for release. On lower lake I wade out in inlet to a sandbar and worm it. Sandbar might not be visible if high water still. Pull fat bows out of that spot, only catch lots of cutthroat in upper. Good luck. Fun hike.
[signature]
Used to hike in and camp it for 3 days at a time when I was a scout. Always could catch fish on either flies or spinners. Never caught a thing on worms from the upper lake. Water is usually crystal and you can see them out there a ways and have them chase, but getting them to hit was more spotty. Beautiful area that I've been considering taking my son up to for some backpacking. Also lots of deer and grouse up there and look for mountain goats on the cliffs above the trail in the narrow sections before you get to the lower lake.
[signature]
Thanks a lot for all the great information everyone. It will be nice to get away and do some hiking and fishing. I'm sure it will be a great trip. I will do a post when I get back.

thanks
[signature]