Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon Smallies?
Does anyone have tips for catching smallies at East Canyon? I haven't done very well and am determined to figure them out somehow.

Thank you in advance!
[signature]
Well its been a number of years since I chased the smallies at EC or anywhere else, but I used to do quite well up there with a Rapala Glass Shad Rap in the shad pattern. It looks like a baby crappie, and the bass and trout will hammer it. It is also and outstanding lure for trolling for wipers at Willard. If all else fails, break out a drop shot rig. That has caught bass for me when nothing else will. Good luck! Fred K.
[signature]
I'm paying close attention, too. I recently got skunked on smallies there. Tried surface lures, swim baits, lipless cranks, jigs, and drop shot. Nada.
[signature]
You need to launch this on the upper end where the powerboats ain't, and bounce a crawdad fly or a Berkley Minnow along the bottom. Lots of snags though, but a fun ride.
[signature]
I've reliably caught many small mouth bass in East Canyon Reservoir every time I've fished there by shore fishing casting a fork tail goldfish swim bait while walking the shore.

I choose surface swimming swim bait deliberately because I have good control of it's direction on retrieves with good visibility of the goldfish to swim it close to weeds and sticks yet avoiding getting it stuck and tangled.

I've had best results fishing it everywhere my friend told me: "don't cast out there because you'll get your lure caught in weeds and rocks."

I told him: "But, that's where the fish are!"

Fish the weeds and rocks!
[signature]