Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The mighty gorge
Anyone been fishing for anything at the gorge? Family reunion next week ill be around the cedar springs area any info is greatly appreciated!!
[signature]
We fished that area lase week. From Cedar Springs, we motored over to Jarvie Bay and Skull Creek for Kokanee. Not a lot of fish on the finder but we did manage to pick a couple of limits.
Just before we reached Jarvie Bay, we stopped and jigged for Pup Macs.
We found them in about 60' of water and on the bottom.

I have to wonder if the Koke population is on the decline as we didn't mark as many as we used to.
[signature]
Thanks for the info! I'm glad you at least got into a few I'm probably not experienced enough at the gorge to notice a difference in population? What about small mouth do you ever see or hear of any big smallies??
[signature]
[quote DKStroutfitter]We fished that area lase week. From Cedar Springs, we motored over to Jarvie Bay and Skull Creek for Kokanee. Not a lot of fish on the finder but we did manage to pick a couple of limits.
Just before we reached Jarvie Bay, we stopped and jigged for Pup Macs.
We found them in about 60' of water and on the bottom.

I have to wonder if the Koke population is on the decline as we didn't mark as many as we used to.[/quote]

Unfortunately I feel they have declined, the fishing derbys have had a definite negative impact on the population, with roughly 30% of kokes not surviving being released the numbers add up fast! And add to that number the fact that a lot of guys do not keep macs that eat kokanee eggs you see an even further decline. I love macs as much as kokes, so we always try to limit out on both.
[signature]
My grandson loves to fish the shoreline for the Smallies at the Gorge.
They are not very big though.
You might get a 12 incher once in a while but most are smaller than that.
[signature]
Kokanee fishing has been good in Jarvies Bay. Lately I've done better with a Rocky Mountain Tackle Signature Dodger in green moonshine and squid in green cotton candy. Pink squids are always good too, and silver dodgers. My leader length has been about 12-inches and I tip with Gulp maggots. Most of the fish are stacked between 45-70 ft, but it can vary some. You might catch some lakers on the same gear, but also try spoons like #2-3 Needlefish and RMT viper spoons. Greens have been working well for lakers too.

Smallmouth bass are everywhere along the shoreline near the dam. Small jigs like single tailed Yamamotos and/or Gitzit tubes in crayfish colors always work well. Try fishing deeper for bigger fish. Top water can be a lot of fun early and late in the day too using Rebel PopRs.

Hope it helps and enjoy your trip, Ryno
[signature]
Thank you very much appreciated! Hopefully ill have some info to share when I get back! A picture with my little guy and a fish and its all worth it!!
[signature]
Thank you for the info!!
[signature]