Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power trip
I have a colorado xt with a 36 lb thrust newport trolling motor. I estimate my boat weighs 300 lbs ish fully loaded including me.

I feel seriously underpowered. I realize I am not going to pull any water skiiers, but a little cooling breeze would be nice. Boat will barely make headway against current or tide (always a factor here in coastal Carolina)

I have considered getting a larger trolling motor or adding a second 36 for duel power. I have access to a 7 hp 4 stroke ( weighs 56 lbs) but I am wondering is that total overkill or at least too heavy?

Toongirl
[signature]
I looked up the capacity of that boat and it comes in at 400 lbs. I think that if you take off the battery and trolling motor and use the 7 hp instead you'll be fine in weight. Now for the cooling breeze? Well you'll certainly get that with a 7 hp 4 stroke.

If you're thinking of doing both the trolling motor and the 7 hp then you'll be way into the over kill department and pretty close to the weight limits of that water craft.

Second thought... boats have a limit on horse power or rather the limit is on the motor a given boat can have on it. I would look into that before I mounted a 7 hp motor on a boat your size.
[signature]
Thanks for the comments
Classic Accessories recommends 30lb thrust trolling motor and says boat is NOT rated for a gas outboard.

Anyway I'll experiment some more. I would appreciate more comments from others about how you are powering your boats.

I am a wildlife & nature photographer, here a 2 sceans from the Waccamaw river near Conway SC last Sunday
[signature]
I have a Dave Scadden Mike Andreason model and use a 40 lb variable speed trolling motor.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Welcome aboard.

Very familiar with the Colorado. A good sturdy craft but not sure I would put a gas motor on it. But you can upgrade to a 40# electric without adding significant weight. You could probably go to a 55 also but might have to use two batteries and wire for 24 volt. Different options. I've never used higher than a 40# so can't be much help on the voltage requirements. I just know that guys I know with bass boats that use the larger motors usually have a higher voltage.

I'm guessing you have not had experience with toons and motors before. Most of us fisherfolk who use motors on tubes and toons simply rely on them for saving our legs and arms by allowing us to motor longer distances between point A and B without having to use fins or oars. Speaking for myself, I have never felt a hankerin' for wind in my face. Got over that after getting smacked in the face with a wasp while standing up in the back of a pickup.

Bottom line...you could rig a gas motor on your Colorado and it might work fine. I know of others who have gone with light weight 4 strokes and they had no problems. One of the big issues is weight distribution for level floating and running. Might take some re positioning of the seat to get it balanced right.

It would be great if you could borrow/rent the model of motor you are considering and take it to the water to try it for weight and efficiency. I know from many years experience that theory and reality do not always go together well.

Too bad there is no "one size fits all needs" craft that will serve for all potential use scenarios. The good news is that with a bit of creativity and a few trips to Home Depot you can usually "McGuyver" something if you need to.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I have seen pictures and a video of the Mike Andreason model. I am not sure if it is a Predator or a Renegade with a light frame. If a fisherman didn't use a motor with it, and just used oars to cover distances...Can you row it much better with the frame than without the frame? I am thinking of buying one. Unless it rows significantly better with the frame, it doesn't seem like it worth the extra set up and take down work with the frame. If you get a chance, I'd like to get your opinion. Thanks.
[signature]
The current MA set up does not even have oars. The Renegade I had before had oars and it rowed ok. A heavy wind and you were standing still. I have not found these boats to row anything like the pontoon types did. At least not in my experience and I rowed a lot.
[signature]
Thanks, Old Troller. Scadden's web site shows the MA with oars. He must have decided to go without them now. I have no interest in a frame without oars. Good to know.
[signature]
or foot pegs and I was very disappointed about that
[signature]
Hi toon. I have been motoring pontoons for a very long time. I have had several boats as well.
(Mach, I have no idea what boat troller has but the Andreason is a rowable boat and does so quite easy. The frame puts the oars up higher and out of the leg area unlike the boat mounted Renagade. AWESOME boat)
As for motor, first thing I notice is you are relying on the motor to push you like a regular boat. It looses so much power not to mention steering.
Turn the head around on the motor and let it pull you. Steer with your feet/fins. OR drag your oars in holder tapping them to turn.
I ran a 36 on a 10'6" pontoon for years.
I would not recommend a gas motor over 4 HP on a small pontoon, specially a 4 stroke.
I use a 9 hp on a 14' Zodiac and it is a lot.
My suggestion is get a new 40 to 50 thrust Minn with the Maximizer . Will run longer and easier on battery. Turn the head around let it pull you.
That is my suggestion.
[signature]
[quote jmach]I have seen pictures and a video of the Mike Andreason model. I am not sure if it is a Predator or a Renegade with a light frame. If a fisherman didn't use a motor with it, and just used oars to cover distances...Can you row it much better with the frame than without the frame? I am thinking of buying one. Unless it rows significantly better with the frame, it doesn't seem like it worth the extra set up and take down work with the frame. If you get a chance, I'd like to get your opinion. Thanks.[/quote]

The MIKE boat is the same size as the Renegade and a foot longer than the Predator.
It has no floor or seat area like the Renegade or the predator. It is a U shaped pontoon. The aluminum frame with your choice of rear decks.
YES!!! You can row it better than the Renegade or the Predator. The oars are up higher out of the way of knees or side bags.
I have the Fuzion. Loved it but them bought a frame for it, and I am amazed how much easier it is to row. You are out of the water more too.
I don't work for Scadden but I have had every one of the boats at one time or another.
[signature]
[quote OldTroller]or foot pegs and I was very disappointed about that[/quote]

What boat did you get? The frame is the same as what we had on the X5. It has raised oar holders and foot pegs. All his boats have oars.
http://www.davescaddenpaddlesports.com/p...on-special
[signature]
Thanks, Flygoddess.
I really like my frameless Renegade. I enjoy being able to set it up quickly due to no frame...but the frame might really help on some larger lakes. Maybe next year, I'll see if I can buy a frame for the Renegade.
[signature]
That's what I would do. I do like the new line up with that drop stitch floor. The rigidness of it could be really nice.
Right now I have the Assault still, a Predator and the Carbon Predator. Plus the small Kayak and a SUP. Use them all but the Fuzion with frame is my fav.
[signature]
I saw the Carbon Predator at a show in Northern Cal. I love the extremely light weight for carrying it short distances to launch. But it looked kind of like a balloon to me. I would be afraid to pull it up on a rocky shoreline. It looks very susceptible to popping a leak. Is the material much less sturdy than the material used in the regular Predator?
[signature]
Material is tough, but it doesn't have that skid layer on the bottom like that predator.
It us so light though, just pick it up and walk out of the water.
[signature]
Thanks, FG. I usually fish with a couple of Saddle bags, an anchor and a triple rod holder...so I add quite a bit of weight to the pontoon. If I get a Carbon Predator to back up my Renegade, I'll just fish it without so many "add ons". Always appreciate your feedback.
[signature]
The more you add the harder it is to roll up small. Lack of D rings. Can't add the Scadden motor mount to it. But it is a great hike in boat, or in my case a back pack on my bike or motorcycle.
[signature]