Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crayfishing
Hello,

I want to try to get into crayfishing, and I am trying to figure out how to do it. Does anyone know how to fish for crayfish?

Jared
[signature]
Ririe Reservoir has some big ones . I believe there are some you tube videos on the best way to catch them .
[signature]
These new Crawfish Hotel traps work great where crawfish are present. They would work great at Ririe Reservoir. We filled a 5 gallon bucket in just under 3 hours with the new Crawfish Hotel Traps. This trap is so much more fun than a chicken leg and a string. It is definitely more fun than traditional large, bulky and heavy crawfish traps. You will catch more crawfish with the Crawfish Hotel then traditional traps. Our experience this weekend was amazing. The Crawfish Hotel caught 10 crawfish for everyone crawfish the traditional traps caught. The boil afterwards was delicious and it capped off a great day!

Check the video to see how these amazing traps work. You can also order your own trap at crawfishhotel@gmail.com.

https://youtu.be/YmBQqzoRBbM
[signature]
There are some good you tube videos- Crayster. The fellow doing the videos lives in the area and fishes Ririe. He uses different traps and goes after large ones. I believe he builds his own traps. /good luck.
[signature]
Do you make these traps yourself?
[signature]
The fancy new stuff works great, but the old-fashion round traps do too ... I like the double-enders (see attached image). We use a can of tuna or cat food and just poke holes in it with a hammer and nail, then put that into the trap... drop it in the shallows, tie it off, come back in the morning. When catching them off of a smooth-rock bottom of a river, we use tongs to grab them ... they don't scoot away nearly as bad when you use the tongs rather than scaring them with your big ol' hand... just grab them kitchen tongs and drop them in a bucket. Works for us Smile

Brian
[signature]
Hello,

Thanks for all this information so far. I think I will enjoy crayfishing very much.

I am trying to make a trap, because finances are not that good. Any ideas on how to make a trap?

Jared
[signature]
YouTube has plenty of videos of how to make them, but it's not much cheaper to build them than buying them.
[signature]
Yes, I make them myself in my garage. I designed them to be used in addition to the larger soak traps. If you have kids with you or even just with friends you can easily double your entire catch by using these traps while waiting for your bigger traps to soak for several hours. The Crawfish Hotel is especially fun for kids, because they can use a fishing pole and they can actually watch the crawfish enter the traps. The soak time on these traps is somewhere between 5 - 10 minutes before the trap is full of crawfish and ready to be pulled in. The big benefit of these traps over a chicken leg tied to a string is that the crawfish don't get off when you are pulling them in. I have done in-field studies that show about 50 percent of the crawfish caught using a chicken leg fall off before you get them to shore. With the Crawfish Hotel, you catch nearly 96 percent of all the crawfish that enter the trap. I have attach a photo of the two models. Both models can be used with a fishing pole or rope and measure 6" x 6" x 6" and weigh about 16 ounces.
[signature]
UTHunter ... thanks for posting your 'hotels' ... I'm going to make a couple!

Brian
[signature]
I am not sure if I should encourage you or call you an ass! Either way, I wish you luck. Just so you know, they are patent pending.
[signature]
[quote UThunter]I am not sure if I should encourage you or call you an ass! Either way, I wish you luck.[/quote]

Not sure I get all that ... but I'll opt for the encouragement. It was nice of you to share your designs with us... unless you're selling them and wish to sell more? If so, then I'm sure many would be interested....

bd
[signature]
I have these listed for sale under the Big Fish Classified ads on this forum. I am sorry and apologize if I offended you with my comment. It is just frustrating when you invent something, go through the whole process of research and development, apply for a patent and forgo making them in China, so that I can support American suppliers to have someone just say they will make it themselves. I know that it took many months and a lot of money figuring out how to make the trap work and fixing all of the little issues. I am sure you could make one for yourself, but I can guarantee you that it would be cheaper and faster to buy one. Once again, I am sorry for how I originally reacted to your post. I wish you only the best of luck fishing and catching crawfish.
[signature]
[quote UThunter]I have these listed for sale under the Big Fish Classified ads on this forum. I am sorry and apologize if I offended you with my comment. It is just frustrating when you invent something, go through the whole process of research and development, apply for a patent and forgo making them in China, so that I can support American suppliers to have someone just say they will make it themselves. I know that it took many months and a lot of money figuring out how to make the trap work and fixing all of the little issues. I am sure you could make one for yourself, but I can guarantee you that it would be cheaper and faster to buy one. Once again, I am sorry for how I originally reacted to your post. I wish you only the best of luck fishing and catching crawfish.[/quote]

No apologies necessary! I'm relatively new here and didn't know you had these for sale... my bad. I promise I won't make any! I prefer to support the little guy, regardless. Thanks for filling me in.... Smile

Brian
[signature]
Thanks. If you ever want one, just email me at crawfishhotel@gmail.com. I am also going to discount the price for anyone that orders and mentions Big Fish. The regular price is $20.00 plus shipping. Big Fish members can get them for 15.99 plus shipping. Have a great day.
[signature]