Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's
Robert , I am fishing with Ted Freeman and Sherry young next Sunday . When you make it up this way . Let me know . I would love to fish with you . We are fishing Wednesday thru Sunday. We are going to use 4 wheelers to get away from the crowds .
[signature]
We will be there Saturday if we don't head to BF res. I will PM you Thursday with the plan. Thanks for the invite!!
[signature]
If I can get some more Brookies, I will smoke some bring over in Feb when we come.[Wink] Just to let you know, I fished Sunday never touched a fish. Go figure!!!
[signature]
Nephew is asking if he should bring his razor next weekend. What you guys think? I thought it would be fine, but I didn't see any others out......
[signature]
I just think it depends where you go. The fish and game just reported that the middle of the lake is still open. There are plenty of places with springs that create weird pressure ridges under the right conditions. I'm not trying to scare anyone from bringing their machines as access is becoming more and more difficult. Just be careful as there are still plenty of weak points.

Windriver
[signature]
HENRYS LAKE STATE PARK and IDAHO FISH & GAME COOPERATE ON GATE CLOSURE
Henrys Lake State Park was scheduled to close their gate near the entrance this evening, Monday the 4th of December. However, the Park, in cooperation Idaho Fish & Game, has decided to keep the gates open on a trial basis until the end of the fishing season on January 2. Park Manager John Sullivan wants visitors to know that the Park is not trying to limit access, but several concerns need to be addressed to keep access open through the fishing season. Most importantly, even though staff are not present at the entrance station, visitors are still required to pay entrance fees. Entrance fees can be covered by using the Parks Passport ($10 for the year) available through the Department of Motor Vehicles, an annual parks pass, or by filling out the envelope at the entrance station and placing the $5 cash or check into the drop box. These fees fund the Idaho Dept. of Parks and Recreation (limited tax fees are used for Idaho Parks) who manages Henrys Lake State Park, and provide improvements, building maintenance, restroom facilities, etc. Speaking of restrooms, the Park has one of the Fish Cleaning Station restrooms open, but please help them keep it clean. Please practice “Pack it in, Pack it out”. Anglers are also asked to be cautious when accessing the Park, as the road in and down to the lake will not be maintained or plowed. The frequent winds can cause snow to blow across the road, making travel in and out of the park difficult. Visitors need to be prepared to deal with changing weather conditions and exit the Park prior to difficult road conditions developing. Park staff do not have the resources to get stranded motorists out of the park.
Many anglers are thankful for the opportunity to fish at Henrys Lake State Park, and it is one of the few public access areas available along the lake that wintertime anglers can use. If we all cooperate and help the Park meet their needs, we can continue to use this area until the fishing season closes on January 2. Future winter access here may well depend on how we collectively meet the needs of the Park through the rest of this fishing season. Please help the Park help us anglers. Good luck fishing!
[signature]
I want to be clear, I don't hold it against anyone who wants to keep a big fish for food or the wall. I am truly happy for everyone who is having success this year. If they want to mount a fish or eat it that is great. I just think the smaller ones taste a lot better so I focus on those ones for food.

I will let the biologists do the science about how big these fish can grow and how old they can get. My understanding is that most die from obesity somewhere between 4 and 5 years old. So why do I release so many of the 25-27 inchers? I don't like to eat them as much as smaller ones, and I figure I can't catch a 30 incher if I don't release the 25-27 inchers.

On a side note my wife thought I should have kept that really big one my son caught to have it mounted. In hinddsight maybe she is right. I'll probably get a replica made someday of all my kids biggest fish from Henrys.

Good luck to everyone going after the big ones in the next few weeks. It will get more and more difficult as the weeds die and the oxygen levels diminish.

Windriver
[signature]
They were predicting 10 " . Last night we got 1" It is going to be 0 the next week . I would not be afraid. Don't go to the middle .
[signature]
I am so happy they decided to keep the the State Park Open . Thank you to anyone who had anything to do with this . I have the park pass , so that's not a problem . .
[signature]
Thank you to who ever helped keep Henry's Lake State Park Open till the end of the season . Please pay at the booth if you don't have a pass .
[signature]
And keep it clean and report those that don't follow the rules or it may not be open again. I plan on being there on Saturday at the mouth of the outlet,
[signature]
We had a great time up there last weekend. Saturday night was our best fishing time. We didn’t catch a ton of fish but everybody got into some. Had several broken lines. My boy got into a 5 or so pounder that I couldn’t get out of the ice, he was pretty disappointed in my fish handling skills. Even caught a few brooks. Thanks to curt and skunkedagain for all there help. This was my big one for the trip caught at the state park.
[signature]
Get a gaf, don't try to lift the big ones out of the whole . Just get there head to the surface and gaf them . Don't gaff any fish you are going to release. Her is a picture of mine catching a big fish
[signature]
Looks like Ill be up tomorrow night to fish friday. Most likely will bring a wheeler and fish somewhere either state, cliffs, or wild rose. Depending on ice thickness, sounds like most places are at least 6" or more around the edges. We will be in a red dodge, quickfish 6, just me and my retired pops, if you see us say hi.
[signature]
The open water at the Hatchery just froze last night don't try to access the lake there . Tomorrow I am unloading at County and Fishing Stayles.
[signature]
Hey glad you guys got a good trip in... Nice fish!!! I know what you mean about tough to get those fish out of the ice holes... they are big and tough to hold the head up with one hand and grab the fish with the other... pretty slippery too... But dang fun trying isn't it?? thanks for the post... J
[signature]
A friend fished the outlet today very slow . But they did catch a 5 pound and a 5.75 Pound Brookie . Said the road going in is done almost everyone had a hard time getting out
[signature]
Man that's nice brookies. Curt would a snowmobile make that road okay? Maybe the action isn't worth the effort anymore. Thanks for the update. J
[signature]
All the times I’ve fished it I e never actually fished the hatchery area, usually too many people and that dang open water always spooks me away from the area. Curt how’s the state access?
[signature]
We fished next to open water at Wild Rose and the fish were sure coming to that spot often, but I know what you're saying, hard to trust ice that's melting away. We drilled holes as we approached it. Good luck if you decide to try it. Later J
[signature]