Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's
HooknHunter it was great fishing with you Friday . I think the fishing is going to pick up every day we get closer to ice up .
[signature]
Nice fish, but looks like it was kinda cold... How are the water temps running up there? Supposed to return to more fall like conditions down this way, I expect you will have the same so I'm sure that will make for some great fall fishing... Used to make a fall run up and rent a boat at the Wild Rose and that was some fun times and pretty fish... Hard to find fish much prettier than a Henry fish.. Thanks for the story and photos, nice to see them even if we can't get there to chase them... Later J
[signature]
Sorry, I did not check the water temp at all. To my hands it was cool, but definitely not cold. Even with the snow on the ground, cold air, and wet hands, my hands always dried before they got cold. Never wore gloves on the whole trip. Would not be comfortable even guessing at water temp.
[signature]
No worries just wondering a ball park like you mentioned, sounds like ice is still a ways off like I'd expect... Any idea of when the weeds die down? Is it a daylight deal or temperature of the water? I used to like to fish right after the weeds died down so you could use the boats a little better and troll a bit... even though I know you don't catch very many big fish trolling, I still like to do it... I love the feel of a freight train hitting your rig and almost pulling you out of the boat... Anyway thanks for your info... J
[signature]
I haven't been to Henry's in quite sometime. Does anyone know where to launch a boat and does it cost? Also, places to stay? I know about wildrose and west but is there anywhere else? I would like to take my dad but he's kinda a fair weather fisherman so camping is out of the question. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
[signature]
In addition to the ones you mentioned, there is one at Henry's lake state park and another over between the cliffs and the south west corner (duck creek, I think?).

I also know of a private one, but I suspect they would be to happy with people using it. May be some others I'm unaware of.
[signature]
I think there is also the county dock and launch on the northwest corner of the lake... You can stay in some nice hotels at Sawtell intersection about 5 miles south of the lake... Sorry don't remember the name of the hotel, but a web search should pull something up if you put in Sawtell... This time of year their rates are probably pretty decent since it's between seasons... Seems like the businesses at the turn off to the state park boat ramp have been growing too, so there may be rooms available there now days... Guess I haven't stayed at Sawtell for ten years since I've been at Jareds, West Yellowstone and in a trailer in between.. Good luck.. J
[signature]
You can stay at Drift Lodge or Sawttell. A ,lot cheaper then
Wildrose .
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]I think there is also the county dock and launch on the northwest corner of the lake...[/quote]

Yes. I assumed that is the one he was talking about when he said one on the west side........ [Wink]
[signature]
Country boat dock is free . State boat dock is 5 dollars. They pull the docks out on October 10th and stop charging.
[signature]
Oh I misunderstood I thought he was talking about hotel rooms in West Yellowstone. Oops later J
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]Oh I misunderstood I thought he was talking about hotel rooms in West Yellowstone. Oops later J[/quote]

Hmmm. I just re-read, and you might be right. He could have been talking about either really. There are boat ramps as WR and on the west side (county dock), but there are also places to stay at WR and at West as in West Yellowstone. I'm not sure which he was referring to.

Where is the egg on face emoji? [Wink]
[signature]
Guess we answered either way so he should be covered. So how do you get the weather to cooperate with days off schedule? Been wanting to get a good fall trip in and I just can't buy a break. Seems like my summer has been so tied up and busy, now I have time to sneak off and fish a little I get wind every day I can go. 😩 Later J
[signature]
Wildrose charges 15.00 to launch , and there rooms are expansive. I will be fishing tomarow and will report .
[signature]
Ouch they used to be reasonable when we went up a couple times a year. But I guess we were renting their boats so we didn't have to pay launch fees. Still think that might be cheaper than pulling my boat up there, but no down riggers and have to take the portable FF so it's a bit of a pain. Plus they took forever to get you on the water in the morning. That used to drive me nuts when I wanted to be fishing. Oh well enough of my bad press. Later J
[signature]
They charge 9.00 to park during ice fishing season . So I park at the Hatchery and ride my 4 wheeler or snow machine over there .
[signature]
Guess you got a short season so you got to make money while you can. But I'd probably do the same thing you do. Now if it was $3 to $5 I might pay it. Wonder where the economy of scales fall in on that one. Later J
[signature]
They are open year round . No short season . I like Wild Rose . Just can't aford them.
[signature]
Thank you all for your advice. I'll let you know IF I go and how we do.
[signature]
I'm thinking their off season can't be very busy after the ice fishing closes since that's a little out of the way for snowmobiling. I'm sure they get some business but I'll bet it's a lot slower than when the fishing season is open. J
[signature]