Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skunked at Big Blue
Don't ya just hate those days when ya can't make it happen. I hit Bear Lake Friday and got there good and early. I had seen some minnows there in the marina last time so I took my casting net and while I was getting ready to unload I went down and tossed the net and got 4 chubs. Right away before I could throw a second time an old timer husseled down and got after me for fishing in the marina. I hadn't seen any sign that said you couldn't but he assured me it was on the way in the gate. So I put my casting net away and got launched. Another guy at the ramp told me he had been nailing the Mac over 20 fish a day the last three in a row. I should have known that was a bad sign. Anytime I get excited and think I've got a chance to catch some fish I better watch out and be careful. Well I finally got away from the character that was giving me a hard time about the minnows and the lake was great and smooth for Big Blue. I got out on the rock pile and was the third boat there after the guy I met at the ramp and one other guy. Well before I got a line in the water the one guy had a Big Mac on that ended up coming unbuttoned near the boat so I'm thinking good day. Well I jigged all morning with only one tug and it was a solid snag that took everything. I did see four fish caught between the 8-10 boats on the pile, but for me not a nibble. Wish I could blame it on the waves or moon or something but I can't everything was perfect, just none of the fish on the graph wanted to play. Pretty day and the canyon drive was gorgeous but no contest fish for me. Actually other than I'll gotten bait fish there wasn't a thing for me. So that's two strikes for me in as many weeks at Bear Lake. Wind and skunking hope that means next trip will be the good one. In fact I even broke the tip off one of my favorite poles, it was a bad day. Later J
[signature]
Bummer Jeff, but at least you were out fishing instead of at work like me.
[signature]
Good point, it was nice to get out after them... Seen a nice buck on the road as I was heading over to the lake, funny during the hunt to see buck on the road, but it knew I was fishing not hunting... Just the way my luck usually rolls... I'm Sad to see the contest end without a trout entry for me... but I didn't want to put my 12"er from Hyrum on the board... and couldn't find one at Bear Lake so I guess we'll end on that note... Maybe next time... Later J
[signature]
Don't worry j that lake had been great it just shut off that day at about 8 and don't believe everything u hear from a guy at the ramp I fished next to him for 3 days and know how many fish he caught.
[signature]
Were you the first boat and had that Mac on but it shook loose? I should have said hey but didn't know it was you. Thinking you went to the east side. I sure couldn't steal a bite that day. Nice weather though. Later J
[signature]
That was me didn't know if that was u either couldn't remember what boat u said u were in
[signature]
Dang sorry I missed you. Nice boat!!! Sorry about the drifting, I need to get me a spot lock ability, but can't afford it yet, but it's high on my list. Drifting did show me lots of fish but didn't do me much good. Next time I'll know to say hey. Later J
[signature]
Hi guys, I'm kinda new to this forum but I wanted to post a clarification on here about How Many fish were caught by the guy at the dock. He is a good friend of mine and I know what was posted by Skunkedagain and lundboy54 is just misunderstood. What he caught was a 20 pound fish each of the 3 days he was there. Not 20 fish each day.
Alan
[signature]
Ok thanks Alan for the clarification. Welcome to BFT, nice to have you take part with us. Later J
[signature]
Bummer that your got skunked Jeff, it was such a nice day!

Don't let the old fart that chewed you out scare you off. I know who he is and he's a ornery old bugger. The park manager isn't going to do anything to you for chucking a few casts with a cast net. He doesn't allow angling with rod and reel due to too many boats being struck by lures and sinkers, but he has no problem with throwing a net from time to time or even setting a minnow trap.

If the fish weren't biting then I suspect that they are getting ready for the spawn and their notorious lock jaw is now setting in until mid November. They will be easy to catch from mid November thru December when the whitefish start their spawn. I always catch many of them along with good sized cutthroats when the whities are running.

Mike
[signature]
Hey Mike,
I really like those chubs that I caught over there the other day, but that feller was watching me like a hawk, so I didn't dare snag a few more when I returned and I'd used all of my days catch on the rock pile, but I'm thinking the catfish would love those guys... Couldn't tell if they were blue-eyed and left handed, but I think even Pat would have been happy with them... They were a little bigger than usual so I think the big cats would have loved them... If I can sneak back over I'd like to do it... Trout may have shut down, but I could use a little bait... If nothing else I'll return in November and December to try the whities... That's sure been fun at times for me... Thanks for the intell and I'll have to catch you one of these next trips and do a little fishing with ya if your available... See ya later J
[signature]