Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUTT PUCKERING ICE!
So I was reading curt69 comments on the thin ice at Henry's and people falling through and I thought, everyone who has done this for a long time has to have had at least one of those butt PUCKERING experiences. So let's hear it. I will get it started. Last year at Henry's I had a pressure plate raise three feet up not 30 feet from where I was fishing. The ice literally shifted feet under me. Tighty whities, became brownies. How about you?
[signature]
I was at American Falls and the whole res. shifted about five feet... and opened up the bank to where you almost couldn't get off of the ice without getting wet. It probably was the loudest ice cracking noise I have ever heard.
[signature]
50 years on the ice and never got wet. Had hundreds of ice cracks run right between my feet when fishing in weather below zero. Seen some very cool uplifts run across lakes. Logged a lot of hours in beautiful spots catching some beautiful fish with great friends. "Lucky" I guess.
[signature]
Bear lake... 8" of ice. heard a crack start on the other end of the lake and went from one end to the other. sounded like a jet was flying right above the ice, ice raised 6" or so where we were fishing. everyone jumped out of their tents butts in full pucker.
[signature]
Colossal ice shifts every year on Flaming Gorge. Makes you realize how helpless you really are when it comes to mother nature.
[signature]
Must have been about 2 years ago on CJ strike Res. Went out on some of the first ice, probably around 3" of ice, scary. I generally don't go out unless its 4". Went out started fishing had 3 hole's in a triangular shape. about 10' apart, warmed up and all three hole's got connected by a crack and I was standing in the middle of the triangle and it started to sink with me on it, hopped off of it and had to use another pole to retrieve my sonar, 3 poles, and my 3 jigger totters. I quickly made my way closer to shore....... scared the living $%!& out of me.....
Matt
[signature]
These are all scary events.

When I was younger my brother and I went out to paliSades. One day while getting set up we started drilling and got the first hole cut, but water didn't come out pulling up the auger. We thought that was a little weird, but drilled another and the same thing happened. We weren't really alarmed until we looked in the hole and noticed that the water was 4 feet below the bottom of our holes. We were suspended on the ice 4' above the water. I've never seen that before, but had the ice gave way it would have been impossible for either of us to reach up and get out. I haven't dared fish paliSades since. It's a fickle beast.
[signature]
I heard of the same thing happening at Porcupine in northern Utah, can't imagine falling through in that situation, talk about a terrible way to go... Nothing you could do to get out, maybe it's not a bad idea to drill a hole before you get out on the ice very far in locations that could have a fluctuating water level during the winter... Can't imagine how bad that had to pucker you up... bet you walked careful on the way out of there... Ice can be scary stuff... Guess I've had the cracks under me, had a pressure ridge pop up under my brother that popped him off his bucket and sent us running for shore.. Twice at Bear Lake I've had the icesheet I was on break off and start floating away... Both times I've been lucky enough to be able to jump the open water crack and not have either side give way and send me swimming... Guess there are reasons why I'm an ice chicken.... Later J
[signature]
Last year I went through near the hatchery. Luckily I was able to pull myself back on the ice. Found out another friend had gone through in same place same day.

Year before ice shifted and a tidle wave of water came up on a pressure ridge and flooded my equipment. I was able to retrieve it but it was really scary.

Windriver
[signature]
Was also out at Ririe, walked across the dam with intention of fishing under the catwalk that connects to the cement cylinder. Made it out about 50 yards when the ice broke all around me. The chunki was standing on began to rise in front of me as I slipped off the back into that numbing water when my feet felt a second layer of ice two feet below the first. Was by myself and is way deep there. Thought that was it.
[signature]
Well you all did it! No more ice fishing for me . Well maybe.
My dad and me were on Bear Lake off of Cisco beach, years ago, sitting on buckets jigging for whatever, the ice shifted so hard that we both fell off our buckets. If I remember right, we kept on fishing.
[signature]
Went out to Bear Lake a few years ago. We were on 3" of ice in 80' of water about a half mile from shore. Through out the day we had cracks and fractures popping up around us all day. Near the end of the day we had a plane on floats come down and try to land on the ice between us and the shore and kept bouncing down the shore line on the east side. Nothing like feeling the ice wave underneath you.
[signature]
Some years back an acquaintance of mine fell through the ice on Pineview res. In this case the ice was off the water well above his head. The good part was that he landed on dry ground, not able to reach the ice where he went through he walked under the ice until he found a spot he could lay down and with his feet kick a hole to get back out. I think I would rather go into the water, at least I would know where I was.

Call me stupid if you will but admittedly I have gone through three times, twice up to my arm pits then being able to catch my self. Adrenaline kicked in and I was able to pull myself back out while my friends look on. They really didn't have time to react before I was out. The third time just one leg went through up to my thigh. Sense then I have invested in Striker Ice floating bibs and parka. Might add that all three times has been on late winter ice. I am much too old to have that happen again. Like Curt, I don't want to try and find out if that suit really works. That cold water really sucks, takes your breath away too.
[signature]
I was fishing alone on a Utah Reservoir one February day. 2 other guys were fishing a tiny bit of open water near the inlet. The ice was 8 or 10 inches thick and all was well for the better part of 4 hours. Then a gravel pit did a series of blasting and it all went to heck in a handbasket. About 25-30 feet of what had been solid ice all the way around the reservoir became 1 foot pieces. It simply shattered. I hollered to the guys on shore that I was in a pickle and was going to the far end to see if I could get off safely. They agreed to wait for me. I finally found a spot where the good ice was 12 or 15 feet from shore. So I chucked my equipment across and swam. It all worked out and I didn't have to be rescued. Just had a soggy ride home.[Smile] I felt like a polar bear on the ice cap for a bit there.
[signature]
I had the same thing happen at Porcupine years ago. Scared the crap out of me. Sure would be nice to ice fish like they do in the Midwest with a big ol ice shack. Not a chance on a reservoir.
[signature]
Years ago, I was fishing Flaming Gorge on about 6 inches of ice. I wasn't having any luck so I moved about 50 feet and drilled three new holes. After fishing there for awhile, I noticed that water was starting to come up on the ice. I wasn't sure why it was happening, but I decided to move back to my original holes. Shortly after moving back, there was a loud popping noise and I immediately recognized that a pressure ridge had just formed. I looked over where I had been fishing and all three holes had large cracks running through them and had I still been fishing there, in my ice shack, I would have plunged into the water.

A few years ago, while fishing Bear Lake, I saw two guys walking side by side pulling one sled across the ice. I could see that they were walking straight towards the pressure ridge we had already crossed earlier. I heard one of them holler over to my fishing buddy, "How is the fishing?". Just as the words left his mouth they reached the pressure ridge and both of them fell through to their shoulders. They were able to get out before my buddy could get to them. I immediately saw ice crystals forming on them; however, they stood there talking to my buddy for at least 10 minutes. At which point, he asked them, "Aren't you getting cold?". They answered that they were and he suggested that they hike back up to their truck, get their clothes off and get warmed up. The first guy took a few steps and fell right back through the ice (falling through the same pressure ridge, about 10 feet from where they had fallen through before). He got out even faster than the first time, but I was a little puzzled why after falling through once already that he didn't recognize the danger of a pressure ridge.
[signature]
Shock and hypothermia!
[signature]