Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive boil at Willard today 11/29/17
Wiperslayer and I hit Willard today from 8:30am till 2pm. We have been having some decent luck thanks to TubeDude and his Fligs, catching cats up to 23" but today was a little slower with the wind blowing out of the North and the water temps continuing to drop, so after picking up a couple of cats, we decided to change locations. All of a sudden off to the left Ira noticed birds diving, so we headed in that direction and were very surprised to see a full on wiper boil right in front of us. It was the biggest boil I've seen at Willard in over 15 yrs, it was at least three to four hundred yds wide and traveling at a pace of 5 to 7 mph. We slowed down to that speed while we switched over from our Fligs to some casting lures and we were not catching up to them. Finally got switched over and tried to get closer to them but it was too late, it was over[Sad]. We could see birds diving in the distance but nothing like what we saw. Birds continued to dive the rest of time we were there, so it appears the shad were coming to the surface, not sure if the colder temps were bringing the shad to the surface or what the deal was but it was exciting to see boils like that again after all these years. I should have taken some pics but I thought I could get it on video but when I downloaded it, I found we were just too far away to see it clearly. Wish I could zoom in the video like you can with a pic but either I can do that with a GoPro or I just know how[Sad].
[signature]
Sounds like a fun exciting day. Seems late in the year to me to be hearing boil stories. But I guess they still need to eat and just as well round up a school to snack on. Thanks for passing that on. Later J
[signature]
Many years ago while living in Vegas my wife and I were taking scuba lessons. On one occasion we were at Lake Mead for training. We were going to snorkel for 15 minutes. I waded our to my chest with my mask in hand. As I waited for my wife a boil started just feet from me. I had never seen or heard of this before. I was so amazed that I stood there in awe for the intire event. Sometimes even being bumbed by the fish. I was so mesmerized I never put the mask on to see the action from under the surface. A cool experience but missed a great opportunity.
[signature]
Very cool Curt!
[signature]
That would have been cool to see. Fish are awesome.
[signature]
I just wish they had stayed up longer and we would have hooked a few[:|], it was just totally amazing how fast they were moving. I would never have thought they would be moving that fast with the water temps so low.
[signature]