Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaw Jacker Question
Hi guys and gals,
Jaw Jackers have finally made their way into Washington stores so I picked one up the other day, and I even finally found good enough ice this weekend to try it out on.
I had on a paddle bug like normal, but I just missed a bunch of bites on it. Guessing I just need to downsize my jigs, but didn't want to bend the hooks on my little jigs (Some decent size fish in that lake). Wondering what jigs/hooks you guys like to use with your Jaw Jackers. Any tips?
Thanks in advance!
Bryan

And thanks for all the Henry's posts this year, I've enjoyed seeing all the pigs you guys have pulled out of there. I almost made the drive over there in November...
[signature]
I love my jaw jackers. I like to use smaller jigs like slush bugs in 1/16oz or even smaller. The key to having successful hookups is making sure that jig is horizontal in the water. When the hook is vertical it will miss. Sometimes you have to play with your knots to make sure that the hooks are sitting good. I also downsize my bait and make sure the hook is exposed.

Another thing you can do is adjust the triggers. Depending on where and how the fish are biting I will adjust to the situation. If you are having fish bite lightly I will will loosen my triggers to have almost no resistance. If the fish are holding on I will tighten them up. This can be a daily experiment. They are fun to mess around with. Great product.
[signature]
Keep your bait small and set the trigger a little firm . I love paddle bugs ,but not on jaw jackers . Fish grab the tail . And miss the hook .
[signature]
I spent $4 a piece on my Jawjackers. Homemade with 1" PVC and works better than the store purchased one in my opinion. If anyone wants a write up on how I made them let me know.
[signature]
I would like to see how you built them.
Thanks
[signature]
Probably the best way to show you is from the video I learned how to build them from. I've modified mine a little bit but they are really close to this guys. The only difference is the part that holds the rod on mine is a about 4" taller but otherwise it is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RU3fqhwjsQ
[signature]
I had these handmade ones for about two years. I liked them a lot. I am a little OCD and I was constantly checking to see if the triggers were freezing, if they were hair enough, etc. I got tired of checking them a thousand times a day and just broke down and got the jaw jackers. I like how much easier they are to tune, set and leave without worry. I don't know if I get more hook ups on the jaw jackers as compared to the homemade ones, but I know my peace of mind to leave them be is a lot better. I hooked a lot on both, my brother still uses his handmade ones. I usually set them out and then jig on a 5th rod and it brings them in to any of the other 4. It has been really effective for sure. To each their own I guess.
[signature]
You ought to do a Youtube tutorial.
[signature]
The one in the video is a lot closer to the automatic fisherman in my opinion. Both are effective. When I hand made mine I got a really good metal wire from a good clip hanger like you'd see in a retail store. They are a little thicker than the regular metal hangers, rust less, and stay in place a little better. The key is having the right measurements to where your rod holder is placed. If you get it right, you will do great with these as well.

I like the way the actual jaw jacker breaks down and can be stored in a smaller bag. I also like the different settings for trigger and angle better.

I have been seeing things on the jigging jaw jacker base as well. I wish I hadn't seen that. Now I need to find out how to convince the wife to let me dabble in that one. I think they will be around $80.
[signature]
I am a big fan of the jaw jackers. My trip to hookup ratio is about 75% on trout of all sizes. As you know I am a fan of paddle bugs as well. Paddle bugs just don't work well on jawjackers because fish grab the tails or just bump them without actually biting them. I use really small jigs tipped with mealworms even on big fish. The ones shown on the jawjacker site really do work best. I think of them as a scud imitation even if that isn't what is going on. You can buy them in bulk on line from jammin jigs. I like size #8 and #12. See Picture. I
[signature]
Very small jigs with half a mealworm. For trout I have a very light trigger. Keep them horizontal as suggested. I would say I get 80% hookups with them. However I don't use paddle bugs with them. They just don't seem to work as well on a dead stick, although there's always that exception.
[signature]
Bryan, when the fishing is hot who needs them, have watched guys trying to get around to all there poles only to have them not be there and me just fishing with one rod pulling out one after another. But on slow days I could see the benefit and some great tips on baiting and lure size.
Lee
[signature]
I am a jawjacker disciple. The owners name is Matt and he is awesome. I have went out numerous times to his house and he has help me tune how I use to the fish I fish for. I agree with Curt on the hook percentage but at Henry's I think my hook percentage is even higher than 75 percent just because of the way they hit it. Feel free to call him he will be most helpful. Wait till you see his new jigging unit he is about to release, 3 different wheels connect to it giving it different motions. VERY IMPRESSIVE
[signature]
Oh I’ve seen it. Glad they don’t come out till early next year or Christmas would have become a little more expensive..They look incredible. I’d probably buy 2, dead stick another two, and jig my other rod to stay warm..It’s a great product. I love my jaw jackets. I have young kids and it helps me get on more fish to keep them entertained.
[signature]
For jigs, I really like Gamakatsu 211 Jig hooks. They are large enough for big fish, but fine enough wire for good hook penetration, and the shank length is short. I paint them myself with powder paint, or use nail polish and coat it with uv glue.

I too have built my own homemade jawjackers. I have two versions. I'll put the link to how I do the more recent version, which is also the one I prefer. I was just going to post the video, but I have more details on on the blog post.

http://www.livingflylegacy.com/2017/01/d...er-20.html

Here's one from yesterday.
[signature]
Thanks for the replies fellas! I figured it was probably the paddle bug being too big/dangly. I'll adjust as recommended.
@ChrisTheFish: I've also made one of the homemade ones using the tutorial on your blog. Pretty excited to bust that out too! Good stuff man!
Just wish we could use extra rods here in Washington while ice fishing like you Idahoans can. We're stuck with just one unless it's a lake where two poles are allowed. Not quite as fun as watching five of them...
[signature]