Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ICE FISHING EXPERIMENT AT HENRYS
Ice fishing experiment at Henry's. So I new it was going to be cold so was trying to come up with ideas to stop my holes from freezing up so fast. I got these pieces of twelve by twelve Styrofoam, cut a 1.5 inch holes in middle and a eighth in cut to the edge. I placed over my hole and packed snow around the edges with my jawjacker set. So I went to tend my holes after ten minutes and the one that was open to the elements had over an eighth of an inch of ice already, the covered holes just a skim of ice. I could leave the covered holes for an hour before having to tend, I call that a success at below temperatures. It gets brutal having to get down on your knees every ten minutes to clean out holes when really cold. I think they will work quite well at higher temperatures. By the way it was 24 below Sunday morning. I took a picture of my invention it is down below. You guys have any better ideas?
[signature]
Now to make them wind proof! [bobhappy]
[signature]
That's for sure. One got away from me and I chased for 100 yards
[signature]
Great minds think alike! I made something similar a couple of years ago. Mine was cut from a dark gray closed cell foam. The darker color absorbs heat from the sun and helps keep the hole open even longer.
[signature]
I made mine out of black conveyor belting . A little to heavy .But work well in the wind and if there is any sun . Holes don't freeze .
[signature]
Mick Jagger says to Paint It Black!
[signature]
I am a firm believer that light from a hole attracts fish. So if your cover is black could that stop some fish from being drawn to the light? I drill my holes and remove snow at least two feet to draw as much light as possible.
[signature]
I find the opposite . Don't remove anymore snow that you have too . We catch more in the shanty than outside , no light . That's just us , what ever works for you .
[signature]
I have access to black Styrofoam Curt, I will give it a try.
[signature]
I have done the same thing, only I used the foam floor mat that fits together like a puzzle piece. Was able to make three out of each square mat. When touching the water, it rarely freezes up.

You can also purchase them. They have been around for a while. Works great with any kind of tipup/automatic setter. I also use them on holes where I hold the rod and jig. They can also lessen the stress of losing a rod down the hole.

https://www.amazon.com/NEP-Outdoors-Fish...B00J9NL9ZE
[signature]
They have that matting that Chris is talking about a Harbor Frieght . 4 squares for $10 .
[signature]
Thanks for info guys. So the ticket then is the weight and the color. You should have seen me te trying to catch the Styrofoam that got away in the wind.
[signature]