Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chesterfield conditions
How’s the ice conditions ?? Thanks for the info
[signature]
Road p the lake has not been plowed. Walk in or snow machine would work.
[signature]
I was up there on the 22nd and the ice was 9 inches thick.
[signature]
It has been a few years since I have tried ice fishing on Chesterfield. Is it normal for them to not plow the road? Seemed like a few years ago the road was plowed during the winter.
[signature]
So we had a adventures trip this morning, the roads were drifted bad and buried the truck on the main road by the railroad tracks, Big Thanks to the guy on the road grader that pulled us out. Continued on to Chesterfield and there were 2 other trucks there. One tried to go down the road to the lake but had to back because the snow is to deep. So with that we turned around and drove to Mantua. If your planning on going to Chesterfield you better have snowmobiles. They will not plow the road until the Idaho Fish and Game request it.
[signature]
Fished Chesterfield on new years. Managed a few nice fish in the 3 to 4 lb. Range. Roads are plowed and access in excellent. Beautiful day, no wind, temps topping out at 26 degrees. You could tell it got really slushy during the warm spell but mostly froze up now. Here is a picture of what I consider an average fish for chesterfield.
[signature]
Glad someone had some success out there on New Years. I've been out there twice in the past week and it was very slow both times with New Years being the slowest I've had this season. Not sure if I'm just having some bad luck or the fish are feeling the pressure from so many fisherman on the ice over the holiday break. Weather was nice and the ice isn't slushy any more at least.

On another note; does anyone use the underwater cameras and is it worth spending the money on one?
[signature]
Re: Underwater Cameras:

I've had several over the past few years. I currently have a B&W CFish that has a remote controlled camera lens. It allows the lens to turn 360 degrees for views all the way around.

Recently I got a color Aquaview with a camera that hangs on a small wire and one has to twist the wire between the fingers to spin it underwater.

The bad thing about both units is that you can't see the screens well enough to use them outside on the ice. (Kind of like trying to see a cell phone screen) If you put up an ice shelter where you block out the extraneous glare, then you can see well enough.

They are more good for entertainment than for benefit. If you can find your lure/bait on the screen and leave it set there, you can see fish approach and generally ignore the thing. Sometimes you can actually see one take a nibble and it helps you prepare for a bite.

I've been ice fishing a number of times and not gotten even a bite but have seen lots of fish down there. That can either be frustrating or in some cases provide some sort of relief knowing there are fish down there but they aren't interested.

When my wife comes along, she enjoys sitting in the tent and watching the screen. Kind of like a TV.

The costs for these things are steep, as I am sure you are aware. So, you have to decide whether you want one for kicks or not. I would say you won't improve your catch with one.
[signature]
Glad to hear they plowed the road in, and that you caught a few. maybe i will head back up. thanks for the report.
[signature]
I tend to think the cameras are very useful, but you need a positioner with them so you don't have to screw around with the cord... I got the Recon 5 with a Marcum positioner and it's great!!! Totally loved it at Henry's where it was too shallow for a fish finder to do any good, but the camera let me know what was going on... Also nice to see what your doing and if it interest the fish or not... Have seen times when jigging turns them off, other times when it gets their attention, then holding still and fish will take the offering... Yes they are good in the right circumstances... Not always, but sometimes they are the best thing going... Poor water clarity really shuts them down, but if it's clear, they are great... later J
[signature]