Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cascade Questions
Guys, I'm headed to Cascade for the first time end of January and am hoping to get into some perch. My brother in law has fished it a half dozen or so times and always comes up pretty empty. We will be on foot and staying in the Tamarack area. What recommendations do you have as to where to go? I've heard there's pretty good fishing at sugarloaf, but it's a long ways off from Poison creek, which is the default place to access it sounds like. I've also heard Poison creek is fishable but much slower action and harder to get on fish (his experience so far supports this). Any other ideas on location or tips? I noticed that Cascade Lake State park is only about a mile from Sugarloaf, is that area accessible for parking in the winter?

Also what types of lures work there for the perch? I've got small ice flies that work well on Henry's trout but no idea for perch. Figured mealie worms on a small jig if nothing else. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated here as well.

Any help people are willing to share is welcome. Figured I'd call tackle toms as well for updates. If you prefer to message me that would be great. I'm also more than willing to share any information on Henrys Lake, or any of my other fishing spots on this side of the state, or the very few I know a bit on around Boise or up around Lewiston. Thanks again.
[signature]
There are several videos on YouTube that might help . On foot is tough . I will be there February 14 thru 18 .
[signature]
Curt is right. If it was me I'd stick close to Poison if your staying close to Tamarack. That will give the most time on the ice. Don't over think it, it's just perch. I'll pm you.
[signature]
You can rent snowmobiles in cascade if you need one for a day or two.
[signature]
I was there 3 years ago and walked to sugarloaf (SW side) from the parking lot SSE of it. The road to the parking lot was plowed. If they would let you walk from where the road turns south it would be a lot closer but there was a winter closure then (Feb)and maybe 3/4 of a mile i guess. Other wise it seemed like 2 miles and glad I got a tow back to the parking lot. usual perch stuff worked for me. I did change depths as they came by and usually got a bite. It would be fun to go again.
[signature]