Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Council Area Help
Hey Everyone,

My name is Evin. My folks just moved to the Council area off Hwy 95, SW of McCall. My dad has been up there for a few months now and I am helping my mom move up at the end of the month. It will be a short weekend trip so I won't have a lot of time, but would love to get some fishing in. Their property is right along the Hwy and next to the Weiser River, so I can walk to that.

I suppose I am just hoping someone can point me in the right direction. We do not have any ice fishing gear. I am from california and do not have much experience fishing freshwater in the winter conditions. Would fishing the river be worth it? If so, what works best? Lost Valley Reservoir is not far away, how is that in the winter? Any other options?

I fish a ton of saltwater year round down here in southern california. I fish a lot of largemouth year round as well and know my way around trout fishing and have done a decent amount up in the eastern sierras. Don't have too much experience fishing creeks/rivers for trout or any other spices but I have dabbled. Maybe that helps give an idea what might be the most productive for me and the short time I have this trip.

Looking forward to longer future trips, just don't want to waste an opportunity.

Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Sorry can't help you with your request but I'd like to welcome you to the site Evin.
Lots of folks ice fishing Cascade to the East of you for giant yellow perch but this time of the year there are not a lot of folks fishing the streams. Don't get me wrong you can fish them but you just have to be careful with slippery ice conditions along the banks. So far this has been a warmer than normal Winter for most of us, so if you get a nice day you might be able to get in and fish the Weiser river, just take a few minutes to read the regulations there, to make sure there are no special rules for that river. If you are just making a short trip and if no other member can give you some info, just walk over to the river and take a look to see what the condition are there. If it looks like good access and the banks are not too icy, you could try using a spinner, like a Mepps or Blue Fox, maybe even a Rapala, unless you are a fly fisherman. Good luck.
WH2
[signature]
Evin,

I don't think a lot of people fish the Weiser river. If they do, they don't talk about it much. I doubt you will get a lot of help with that one on here.

Since your trip is very short, and you don't have any ice fishing equipment, I would look for other activities.

Hmmmm. Well, I guess you could drop into Brownlee and see if you can catch anything down there. Main species would be SM bass, perch, black/white crappie, and channel cat.

I would suggest that for this trip you just drive around a bit and do some exploring. The drive down to Hell's canyon dam is very cool.

HnH.
[signature]
Thank you for your replies.

I appreciate the info.

I feel like I will probably end up just spending the short time I have with my folks. Save the fishing for a visit during a more productive season. Just thought I would see if anyone had any intel on the area and if it might be worth it, sounds like not so much.

I'm sure I wont be able to stay away for too long after this trip so if I don't get any fishing in, it's not the end of the world.

Evin
[signature]