Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport
Does anybody know the ice conditions on Rockport?

Thanks.
[signature]
The south end is still open water.[Sad]
[signature]
Welcome to the site Sting-ray and thanks for the info. Did you see anyone fishing there, on what ice there is?
WH2
[signature]
There was a guy out there on Wednesday when I drove by.
[signature]
Thanks for the info, what part of the lake was he at?
[signature]
He was close to the dam.
[signature]
I saw some people on the north end by sr32 on my way to Echo from work this morning. I drive passed every day and the only places I have seen people on the ice is near the dam and the 1st 2 pull offs passed it.
[signature]
Fished Rockport on Sunday. Damm area had 5-6 inches of ice. Still open water on the south end. Fishing was very slow. My daughter caught one rainbow and we had a few hits. Edges got a bit soft in the afternoon. Not sure if the ice will survive the warm weather in the forcast this week.

Mark
[signature]
Fished the area south of the boat ramp on Sunday. Caught 3 dink perch in 53' of water. Other members of our group managed 3 17" rainbows in 35' of water. Pretty slow day. 5" of ice and lots of open water on the south end as previously reported.
[signature]
Does it cost anything to fish at Rockport if you are not using the boat ramp?
[signature]
Yes there is a fee if you enter the state park and there are also fees boxes at most of the parking areas on the highway.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I wish a fishing license were all one needed. The government seems to have an insatiable appetite for money.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]No disrespect intended, but actually, government agencies, such as State Parks, are funded through the State’s budget. The money for the budget comes from the state income tax collected from most wage earning citizens in the state. And in recent history, say the last 20 years or so, states have been moving more and more to charging user fees to help fund facilities being used by the public on a large scale; again, like state parks. So, is it fairer to tax all citizens for something some of them will never use? Or is it fairer to have the people that use the facility pay part of the cost to operate the facility and thereby reduced the income tax for everybody that is needed to fund the budget? I vote for lowering my income tax contribution. And I believe that user fees are here to stay.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Unfortunately State and Federal taxing entities can't manipulate the tax code fast enough to outpace rampant Government spending. Implementing Fees Like the mussel program is what we can expect. Don't be mistaken Sin taxes and use fees are simply Taxes in another form. It would be different if use fees were implemented but our Taxes come down, we have never seen that.
[signature]
[quote Dog-lover]It would be different if use fees were implemented but our Taxes come down, we have never seen that.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Sorry Sir, but you are mistaken. From 1976 to 1987 the top tax rate in Utah was the highest it has ever been at 7.75%. Since then, it has been coming down as shown here:
1988 - 7.35%
1989 - 7.20%
1996 - 7.00%
2006 - 6.98%
2008 - 5.00%

You can check this out at this link: https://tax.utah.gov/esu/history/history.pdf

I don't how much it has helped, but user fees have contributed, in some small measure, to facilitate our lower tax rates today.

[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I don't want to use the facilities. I just want to use the reservoir. I don't need any improvements and don't really want to pay for them. The reservoir is probably already being paid for by water users.
[signature]
[quote Cessna150]I don't want to use the facilities. I just want to use the reservoir. I don't need any improvements and don't really want to pay for them. The reservoir is probably already being paid for by water users.[/quote]

As far as I know, there is no fee to park and fish at Rockport, at the pull overs that do not have restrooms. The fee is only for those parking areas that have the rest rooms and that fee is the way they help pay for them or at least that is what a Ranger told me, there at RP.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I have a life time annual permit, so I don't ever think about these things. However, there is a map available [/#][/font](https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/rockport/map/) [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]that shows all of the day use areas of Rockport State Park. The day use areas are denoted by the picnic table icon shown all around the lake. You need to pay the day use fee to park your vehicle at any of those spots. The icons shown on the west side of the park along Hywy 32 count a total of 9 and i know for sure there are not 9 restrooms along the west side. But I think all 9 of them are at least partially snow plowed during ice fishing season which is probably why them require you pay to use them. But I haven't talked to the Park Manager about this, so I'm just guessing. If you REALLY want to know the truth about day use fees and where they are applicable at Rockport Cessna150, you should call the Park Manager and ask him.
[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Just got off the phone with Brian at RP state park, you can reach him at 435-336-2241. As I thought, there is no fee to park along the main road, except for those three locations that have a restroom, so of the 9 parking locations listed at the link you provided, you pay a fee at 3, 6 are free. Hope this helps.
[signature]
I appreciate you providing a source that clearly indicates that the highest rate was decreasing until 2008, which is quite some time ago.
That same source indicates that Real Tax Per Capita in the years mentioned (considered by me as Taxes we pay regardless of the rate) increased virtually every year.
1976 Real Taxes Per Capita $ 212
1987 $ 293
1988 $ 299
1989 $ 308
1996 $ 375
2006 $ 467
2008 $ 476

Taxes paid by individuals is not simply tied to a smoke and mirrors declining tax rate. The highest rate declined but Taxes Per Capita ( Actual Taxes Paid) increased has something to do with how we get to the figure the declining rate is applied to.
Fees are simply dollars collected and distributed to Federal and State agency's in lieu of Taxes, which are going up as well.
Sorry for the difference in how we view the stats,
back to what we all share Fishing.
[signature]