Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Line Counting Reels - Good, Bad, or Ugly?
Ok, so last year was my first year catching Kok's on Ririe and I did pretty good with basic set up and trolling. So, over the winter I've been thinking and reading and because a lot of kokanee fishing is based on depth due to the water temps and feed, is anyone around East Idaho using line counting reels for depth estimates (instead of investing in down riggers) and what is your luck with them and any suggestions on brands, models, etc.?

Just throwing it out there to see if it's worth the hassle of converting to them or just staying with what I have learned.

Thanks
[signature]
The line counting reels actually count revolutions of the spool. At a specific line count, a full spool will have let out more line than a half full spool. The plus side, once a specific count and depth is found on a given day, it is possible to go back to that same count and depth. The down side, two identical reels must have the same amount of line on them for the line count to be comparable. I do not have a line counter reel, so I don't know how much difference there actually is. I typically fish with 100 feet of line out, so there could be a significant difference. I use a line counter that clips onto the rod and measures the line as it is let out. I then disengage the counter and wait for the fish to do their thing. I have checked my clip on counters and they are within two or three feet of each other with 100 feet of line out. I troll with 15 pound monofilament, and my clip on counter works well. I know that a lot of anglers are happy with their line counter reels, and catch fish. I prefer the separate line counter because I think it gives me more consistent readings as I change reels or lose some of the line on the spool. This is a personal choice issue because either system will work as long as the angler gets used to using it.
[signature]
Another option you may want to consider is Leadcore line. I spooled up 6 colors on one of my bigger Flueger President reels for this year pulling cranks. Pretty easy too count colors.
Matt
[signature]
You can also buy color coded monofilament. Just watch the colors as you let out line. If you are cheap like I am and use your line for several seasons, the colors will start to fade a bit.
[signature]
Or let your trolling lines out in the front of the boat, watch them go down on the sonar. Then move them back to the rod holders. Then you know exactly what depth your are fishing.
[signature]
Only takes a couple tries and if you count the cranks as you do it, you only need to do it once or twice and then only do it again if you change depth drastically.
[signature]
I have 4 Okuma line counters and 1 Diawa . I been looking at the counters that clip on your rod . Think I might try a couple . On spinning rods .
[signature]
Lots of good information and so much of it is the same that I have been reading about so it looks like it's up to whatever fits your needs. On the clip on counter, this one has intrigued me more than probably anything. Where might be a good place to pick one up? That might be cheapest, since I too am cheap, lol, and just try it. Thanks everyone for the info.
[signature]
I got my most recent clip on line counters from Amazon. There were several possibilities the last time I looked. I only use mine with level wind reels. A spinning reel may sit far enough away from the rod that it will tend to cause the line to release from the counter. If you hold your hand close to the rod and let the line feed through your fingers it will work fine.
[signature]
I use line counting reels for all of my trolling rods (12 of them) all of them are Diawa
AccuDepths.

The good thing about them is that you can replicate bait depth very easy, I have also tested the accuracy of the counters and it is pretty close...100 feet was only + or - a few feet...so pretty good given line amount and other factors can skew the results. So unless you are fishing 1000's of feet back... the reels should be fairly accurate for most applications.
[signature]
Six colors of lead core in the water will only get you down to about 25' 3 colors in the water at 2mph gets you to 15 feet 4 about 18 and 5 around 22. They have to be let out going straight with the boat and all pretty much they same depth. Rod holders are essential and outside rods should be at least 9 feet with middle rod dead center. Turning allows the lures to go up to 30 ft and you can go out 7 or 8 colors to get to 30 ft but that is pretty much the limit unless you run sinkers. Very effective but the weight of the line reduces much of the fight of the fish.
[signature]
Just picked up a Cabela's depth Master for $50, I put leadcore on it and i'm heading over too the Columbia this weekend for walleyes. If I use it for trolling I will let you know how I like it.
Matt
[signature]
Cabela's has a few options on sale in their Bargain Cave online... cheapest is the Depthmaster III, I own one as well as a few others that I use at Ririe for kokes. Not real sure about accuracy of the counters, but cool for repeating how much line you have out. I tried a few of the older clamp on's before I got the line counter reels. Like the reels better...

Paul
[signature]
I picked up 2 Rapala Lighted Line Counters on line through Sportsman's Warehouse. they had pretty good overall reviews on internet so for the price, thought I'd try them. I agree, even if the amount of line is off some and you start hitting the fish, and can keep about the same amount of line out, so be it. Here's to crossing your fingers, lol.
[signature]
Go with Daiwa Sealines. By far the industry standard in linecounters. They are robust, accurate, and will withstand many years of use. I run 27LC's on all of my trolling rods.
[signature]