Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost creek 02-28-18
Wiperslayer and I got up to LC today, while the weather was still good. Drove to the back by the boat ramp with no problem in Ira's 4x4 truck. Nothing too exciting, we caught mainly rainbows up to 16" and a couple of cutts up to 19". Not sure what Ira was using but I was using TD's jigs, we caught them on night crawlers, wax and meal worm. Ice was clear 9", with 4" of snow on top and the edges were good where we were fishing. There is still open water toward the main body of the lake and we could see where ATV's and snowmobiles had been on the ice. Didn't see many deer but saw lots of turkeys. As we were driving back we passed JJAnnie on the freeway, looked like they were coming back from snowmobiling.
[signature]
That was us - did you honk at us, someone had but we couldn't see who it was as they passed by us....

We just had to get out on such a pretty day, before it clouds in/snows starting tomorrow. We of course didn't catch any fish on our outing today - LOL but we did have great time. Drove out to the Whitney Res area looking for a place to take the kids and grandkids snowboarding and tubing before the season ends and we get the boat out once again.

Glad you and Ira made it out - wasn't it a pretty day? Sounds like you guys did okay catching.
[signature]
Looks like you two got some nice upgrades on your new machines. Yes it was pretty nice other than it snowing on us most of the time we were there but it wasn't bad until the wind started blowing a harder before we decided to pack it in. Wasn't a fast bite but they would come through in waves, I think the last 6 or 8 fish we caught were doubles and most were a decent size, only one 12", the rest were 14" or larger. Got to love those bigger bows, they were drag screaming machines.[cool]. It would be pretty easy for someone to park at the dam parking lot and ride an ATV or snowmobile to the back from there, road was snow packed with little to no open ground going back to the ramp.
Ira was driving so he did not honk but I noticed it was you two as we went by and I waved but it appeared you did not see me. How deep was the snow around the Whitney Res area?
[signature]
Sounds tempting for sure..... waves and the occasional double sure keep you interested...

Snow depth up there was probably about 3 feet or so and deeper in some places, but since we drive on packed snow and not powder as we have no interest in getting stuck in that powder and our tracks are not made for deep powder can't really be sure. They groom the way back there and so its actually a really nice fairly smooth ride compared to when we drove back one summer on that long gravel road. We never had snow, only light breeze here and there and pretty blue sky with wispy clouds but we did find a couple good hills for tubing and boarding if the kids want to go up with us sometime. There's even a warming hut that's really nice if you want/need to take break with a hot chocolate or coffee and sit a while , you can even split wood to make a fire in wood stove if you're really cold.

Not sure who honked then as we didn't really see into the cab of the truck as they passed by. But they were people who had been ice fishing as well looking into the bed of the truck.

I attached pics with Whitney in the far back ground, and one of hill for the kids to play on. Its hard to capture the depth, it does vary somewhat in different areas.
[signature]
At least we were catching fish and we had some good ice. We were thinking our ice fishing season was over but now we are thinking about one more trip. Last Fall we caught a dozen or so chubs there and we were pretty sure we were marking them again yesterday but we were having a hard time hooking them. We thought maybe we could drill a bunch of holes and put in a minnow trap, if we make it there again and stock up on bait for slow fishing at Willard this Spring.
Sounds like there is plenty of snow up there at Whitney right now but after this next storm it could be even more, it's starting to snow here right now.
Ira's truck is red 4 door chevy, if he honked I didn't hear it but we did have ice fishing sleds in the bed. Nice pics.
[signature]
We'll need to learn that slow fishing technique you guys have been using. Cant wait for the soft water season to return once again for good.

This weekend weather will definately be adding to the snow depth up there, and we've got the big snowblower ready for use at the house if needed. I've also got plenty to do inside should we get snowed in for a couple days. Annie always gets excited when she sees new snow out there, she just buries her face right into deeply, its a hoot to watch her do it.

I remembered he had red truck. Think the one that passed by us though was not red, and fishing stuff was green Eskimo gear...
[signature]