Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Saw
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Well, I couldn't resist any longer. I bought one of those ice saws on ebay. I just recieved it today and will try it out tomorrow at the Bear. I saw one in use at the Gorge and decided it was worth the cash. I'll give a good report on it's effectiveness. Here's the same link I posted a few months ago:[/size][/font] [center][url "http://www.icesaws.com"][font "Arial Black"][size 3]ICE SAWS WEB PAGE[/size][/font][/url][/center]
[signature]
Sweet!!

Only one question? I am curious. Like all flat bladed saws, you need a starter hole to get the flat blade through to start sawing, how is the starter hole made?
[signature]
Hope to see you up there tomorrow, we will be in our normal spot on the Rorkpile. Maybe I'll be able to see your ice saw in action. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Teroy, they say you can chip the starter hole then saw out any shape hole with just the saw. I'm going to use it for cutting out 18" dia holes for BL and the Gorge. I should cut ice up to 36" easily.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]WH2, we may see you tomorrow. Not sure where we'll be going. I think we'll try for a limit of whites before chasing macks. I'm going to try eating them in ceviche and fish tacos.[/size][/font]
[signature]
The ceviche I'm not to sure about as I am not a ceviche lover. But they are excellent in fish tacos. If you are buy the salsa try the Chi Chis, they make several ranging from greengo to Ohhh your one hot momma! Good luck with the saw I will be waiting for that report. Should prove interesting at the very least.
[signature]
Two years ago I caught a limit of whitefish on the Rockpile in 25 to 30 foot of water but I guess there are a lot of areas that are better. WH2
[signature]
That looks really interesting. YOU are going to write a report on how it works, aren't you? How about that co moderator request for the utah fishing places board?
[signature]
[font "Arial"][red][size 2] I would be interested in finding out how your new toy works out for you.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
[Tongue] Knowing myself as I do, my first order of business would be to drill a hole in the end of the handle and put a long lanyard through it so I would have some chance of saving it when it inevitably slipped through my gloves! Been there done that with spuds!

I'm anxious for your report BLM.

Don
[signature]
I dont know about that thing, I looked at it but wasnt committed enough to send the cash, I dont know if it will really save any time, or how hard it would be to chip a starting hole, just so you can saw, the weith was a good thing, but wasnt quite convinced. But I do look forward to your post on how well it works. keep us updated. [Wink]
[signature]
Man, I hope I don't "accidentally" find one of your holes...
[signature]
I got a chance to see the saw in action today, all I can say is WOW, it's like cutting hot butter. BLM cut three holes with his power auger then used the saw to connect the holes. Nice 18 inch hole in over a foot of ice. I think it would be tough to start a hole with it though, unless the ice is only of few inches thick. WH2
[signature]
I too, was impressed by the ice saw. I stopped by to visit with BLM and BowBoy around 4:30pm out on the rockpile. Like wiperhunter said, BLM drilled three holes in a triangle fashion. Then sawed out the area between them. Just like cutting through butter. No effort needed whatsoever! Let the saw do the work! I sawed between two holes and never even huffed and puffed. You jsut need to be careful to make sure you don't bind the saw up or I think you could bend a tooth, but man was it easy. I'd like to try to cut a circular hole with it sometime. Also I wouldn't want to try to "spud" through the ice to start the hole. Bear Lake has about 14" of rock-hard ice and that would be a real chore. This is definitely the way to go if you're looking to fish out of a larger hole than augers can cut!
[signature]
I'm not sure but isn't there a law that states for Bear lake that the hole cannot be more than 10" in diameter exept when dip netting cisco. I would hate to fall into one of these holes after a light snow storm the next morning when I couldn't see it.
[signature]
According to the Proc. it is 18" when fishing for game fish, the only exception is for cisco. We all need to be careful on the water and Bear Lake has natural springs that we must watch for. The people I fish with travel routes that others have used and keep a watchful eye out for any safety issues! You brought up a valid question and we all must keep ourselves in check when it comes to safety!
[signature]
Hey fish1on hows it going? Was this in the Utah regs> I just looked it up in the Idaho regs and in general info page 11 it states: It is unlawfull to fish through a hole cut or broken in the ice that is larger than 10 inches in diameter except as listed under reginal exceptions.. and this states that: for fishing for cisco on bear lake you can use a dipnet with an opening of no more than 18" in diameter and there is no size limit on the hole just for cisco.
[signature]
B11,

I just go by the Utah regs. I have attached a link to the proc. look under Bear Lake. I hope that I am following the rules for 18". Let me no how you interpret the reg. I think that the hole is unrestricted for netting cisco and 18" for gamefish!!

[url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/proclamations/2004_fishing/2004_proclamation.pdf"]http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/proclamations/2004_fishing/2004_proclamation.pdf[/url]
[signature]
Youre absolutly right fish1on the utah regs say 18" I guess it just depends on which side of the border your standing on.[crazy]
[signature]
Thank you for bringing this to our attention! I, like you, like to make sure we are following the rules. I wonder if because this is a dual state lake the reg's should be the same??? Do you have a link to the Idaho proc. ???

Thank you for being a Gentleman with this, BFT rules, and we all need to be polite.

I will be at Bear next weekend, send me a pm and we will hook up for some fishing??
[signature]
here is the link on the Idaho regs. Page 11 3rd paragraph 1st column.

[url "http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/common/regulations/fish/info.pdf"]http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/common/regulations/fish/info.pdf[/url]
[signature]