Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
68a access
I realize this is a fishing forum not hunting but I wanted to check with you that fish the Snake below Shelley in Unit 68a.

My daughter has a youth turkey tag in that area and it seems that the only public land is on the islands. There is a nice chunk of BLM just south of the diversion where the People's canal takes off but you can't access it without a boat as the parking lot there is posted with no trespassing and no parking signs.

Does anyone know of any public land in 68a?

Thanks in advance
[signature]
I live in shelley and my wife hunts the river bottoms for whitetail. we have access to a few different spots between shelley and the firth bridge. That being said i spend a lot of time fishing and bouncing around between islands in that section. I have only seen turkey maybe a half dozen times. I have buddies that farm and hunt south of the firth bridge that run into them quite often. Point being I think your best bet to look for access to hunt would be somewhere south of the firth bridge because birds are in much higher concentrations.
The best thing for you to do to find access quick would be to log on to www.onxmaps.com you only have to provide your name and email address to sign up and they give you 7 days free access to all the tools available. Hope this helps and you can find some thunder chickins for your daughter. Good Luck!
[signature]
Thanks much for your reply. I actually have the OnX app and that is what led me to ask my question. I can see a couple of nice BLM tracts that have turkeys I'm sure but they are surrounded by private, very posted land.

So unless you have a jet boat and can access by putting in at a public ramp, I can't see how to get there. Especially with the river running as high as it is right now.

I do appreciate your input though. I was hoping there was a public access that I didn't know about.
[signature]
I think McTucker pondsis in that area . And has some public ground . This is where I hunt pheasants.
[signature]
Soda, I used to do LE for the BLM in that area years ago, just as the private land owner started to lock the area up due to vandalism etc. As you said, the river now is generally the only way now to access the BLM lands, but, with your daughter having the tag, that too might be a bonus as some land owners are accepting of kids getting involved in hunting and give some permission to them. On the other hand, just remember, with the new trespass law, if you get out and hunt the BLM parcels, and some of the private land is not marked off the river, do not get caught on any of the private land because there actually are some private land owners in that area that will push this to the limit and I guarantee you you don't want to get caught in this new dilemma. I could cost you dearly. Not to scare you off, but, the other thing you might want to do is also to check with F&G in Pocatello since they administer that area as they may know some land owners to contact. The BLM in Idaho Falls administers the lands there and they too might have suggestions.

Hope this helps some too.
[signature]