Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mormon Reservoir
Any info?
[signature]
I'm sure you are asking about how the fishing is there but just in case, here is a link to some info about that lake, hope it helps:
https://idfg.idaho.gov/ifwis/fishingplan.../?id=15315
[signature]
Boat or bank?
[signature]
I was thinking my boat not sure about depth or weeds, figured might be able to get around with the trolling motor if the weeds weren't to bad. Just haven't ever been there except to drive in and look at it. Figured with all the trout planted the could be a nice one in there for the fly rod
[signature]
In the past trout were fast growing with all fresh water shrimp in there. size of little footballs in couple years.
[signature]
It is fishing very nice with the fly rod boat or float tube pontoon. Carryover fish which are the huge bulk are really close to a 3 pound average. Stripping drifting in the wind trolling and indicater fishing are all very productive. Go with OX fifteen pound flourocarbon leaders or you will empty your fly box in a hurry as the plant life remains are fly eaters. Three or four foot visibility. Don't attempt any rapala's or other lures as you will loose them and they are not that effective. The fish are close to the weed beds and are all over the lake. This is not a lake that can be trolled effectively as of the 1500 acres only about 35 are 16 to 17 feet deep. There is probably 20 miles of shoreline and only a quarter mile of it is accessable but it is all in the deep area with lots of little bays. Don't waste your time without a fly rod you will be disappointed.
[signature]
Idaho pan you do not need a trolling motor. I have just been plowing through the dead weedbeds to reach the far ends of the lake. The fish are really scattered to the far ends of the lake but plenty abundant around the quarter to half mile access around the dam and area around the half to 3/4 mile channel. Prior to last year there was no access to the lake with the camas creek bridges washed out for previous 3 years. Big time spraying in the Southwest 750 acre portion of the lake this fall for the jungle weed Alfred Hitchcock looking mangle tree looks very promising. They thought they had a fish kill last year but the handful of people who were aware had great fishing till the algae bloom closed it the middle of May. These scud eating Kamloops are footballs the hatchery trout breed who represent a third of the fish up by the dam are unedible.
[signature]

third of the fish up by the dam are inedible.

Just wondering why they are inedible ? Thanks
[signature]
They are not Kamloops and the meat is white. They are likely a rainbow variety that is in a spawning mode hence very dark much thinner. Most of the lakes I fish have a few of these fish and everybody I know release them when caught. Up by the dam around half of the fish you catch are these dark colored ugly fish. In the far reaches of the lake I catch very few of them. Kamloops look like a chinook salmon very chrome and football shaped with only a tinge of red and the meat is bright red.
[signature]
Thanks for all you help I really appreciate it! I am heading up with a friend in the morning to help him find a nice fish for his new rod and also to fish new water.
[signature]
Well the breeze never let up Sat we tried different and Brandon, my buddy, got a nice one on and we almost got to net it before it broke off. Need to explore more on a calmer day
[signature]
How were the weeds ? Were u able to move around ?
[signature]
most was passable, the best was before the rocky point just south of the boat ramp
[signature]