Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Invited
[size 5]Public Invited To Learn More About The State Of The South Fork Of The Snake River

[/size]IDAHO FALLS - A lot has happened with the South Fork's world-renowned fishery in the past year and biologists at the Idaho Department of Fish & Game along with Trout Unlimited are inviting the public to recap the past season and discuss the latest developments in the effort to maintain a healthy cutthroat population.

The number of rainbow trout in the South Fork, and the risk they pose to the native cutthroat has IDFG and many anglers working aggressively to keep the exotic invasion in check. Last year, the season began with the push by IDFG and TU to get anglers to start keeping rainbow trout. Although this was a tough pill to swallow for anglers who've embraced the virtues of catch-and-release fishing, many recognized the predicament and their potential role in protecting this unique native trout fishery.

The efforts were monitored with a creel survey throughout the season by IDFG. The results indicated anglers kept over 5,000 rainbow trout. According to Jim Fredericks, Regional Fishery Manager "The rainbow harvest in the 2003 season was a great start, but we're not there yet". Fredericks is optimistic that the elimination of the daily limit and the year-round season, that allows anglers to target spawning rainbow trout in the spring will significantly boost the harvest.

In addition to the efforts to encourage harvest, IDFG, Idaho State University, and Bureau of Reclamation have been discussing the possibility of releasing a pulse of water in the South Fork to mimic the natural runoff. Researchers have found that cutthroat trout produce stronger year-classes relative to rainbow trout in years with a distinct peak in spring flows.

The meeting will be held at 7 PM in the new IDFG office at 4279 Commerce Circle in the St. Leon Business Park on February 19. Biologists from IDFG will present results from the 2003 creel survey. Researchers from Idaho State University will present an overview of how flows in the South Fork have affected juvenile rainbow and cutthroat trout production. Finally, representatives from Trout Unlimited will give a report on the activities of the Home Rivers Project on the South Fork.

Individuals with disabilities may request meeting accommodations by contacting Jim Fredericks at the Idaho Department of Fish & Game at 525-7290 or through the Idaho Relay Service at
1-800-377-3529(TDD) or via E-mail to [url "mailto:jim_fredericks@idfg.state.id.us"]jim_fredericks@idfg.state.id.us[/url].
[signature]
Isn't that a novel concept!! Instead of Catch and Release, they are forcing everyone to do Catch and Eat. Next thing you know they will let them know that trout is actually healthy for you too.[cool]
[signature]
We have 2 fantastic trout lakes in ND. The Browns and Rainbows average 20". I like catching trout, but I dont like eating them. So I always let them go.
[signature]
I love to eat trout, just like bass. Nothing over 4lbs in the pan everything over 4 back in the water. There is a time for C&R as well as C&E. I still don't keep hardly any LMB at all. They are mostly toys anyway.
[signature]