Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish Contest Wiperman2677
First entry a 23.5 inch cat I caught yesterday on the bear river refuge. Stopped by and showed off my cat to Ahi, he had caught a few including a 30 inches, wow. He has been nailing them, thx for the tips. Top quality fisherman. Caught a 24 inch fatty today same location. Kept the 23.5 since my kids haven't had catfish before. Released the 24 for spawn to become 30+.

[#00bf00]Okay a lot to learn for those new to the contest that we forget to tell ya, first of the labels are at this link... [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=1034668;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=1034668;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/url][/#00bf00]
[#00bf00]
[/#00bf00]
[#00bf00]Second I do need to see both ends of tape or have a bump board that I have verified, meaning you send me a picture of the board with a tape on it so I know the board has correct measurements on it. Third I think the guys below have covered most other things so for today I'm giving you 23.5 and 23.5 points... Couldn't verify the 24 wasn't just a tad short... Any questions let me know.. J[/#00bf00]
[signature]
Couple nice Cats. And you are correct. Ahi1953 is an awesome Cat catcher.

Just one minor issue, if you are posting one or both of those Cats for the contest, the photos are missing the 2018 contest placard........
Not a problem for me, up to the contest judges to accept or not.

Welcome to BFT, if those cats are accepted, it will bump the north team score. [Wink]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Ok guys you got me blushing. Nice to see you Wiperman. Always great to meet another BFT member. one other heads up on your entry, the Judges may want to see the end of your tape. Now that you have seen my spot I expect to see some 30's from you.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
New to this, thx for the heads up.
[signature]
I'll do my best and always learning more. I'll try and find the placards and get those 30's. Cya again soon.
[signature]
Turning in this 29 inch heavy hog from the bear river bird refuge. Caught this morning. Had one bigger but it broke my 14 pd. Mono.

[#00bf00]Wow that is a fat toad... Nice fish 29 points and way to climb the charts... Later J[/#00bf00]
[signature]
Nice!!!!!
[signature]
Ahi we will have to get out. I'll prolly try this evening and take one of my boys. I may aswell get my small cat kicked off too.

[#00bf00]Good for 8 points.... [/#00bf00]
[signature]
You got the main idea I think. And you are landing some good size cats too. Another tip that may be helpful, especially on the river. Spool up your reel with some 30 lb. braid. Use about 3 feet of heavy mono (15 - 17 lb.) as your hook leader if you want.
I use a mono leader on the hook so when I get snagged on something, I can hopefully just break off the leader and not have to reach out and cut off lots of braid. [Wink]
[signature]

Cool
Thanks for the tip.
[signature]
Adding this 24.5 caught at the bear river refuge this morning. Been fishing with my son and Ahi/John last couple days. The bumper board is John's.

[#00bf00]Good for 24.5 points, got to be careful hanging out with that feller, you may catch cat scratch fever... Later... J[/#00bf00]
[signature]
Nice Cat. John is a good one to learn from / fish with. His bump board, his hands, and maybe his camera and tripod set up too? You sure YOU caught that one ?? [sly]
Just kidding
[signature]

Cool
I am learning from him. I've fished this river for 30 years and I'm excited to see these big fish turning up. Just using my phone for pictures, but we do better if we assist right?[cool]
[signature]
Got that right. I know John has no problem assisting. He landed one of my big Carp last week cuz I didn't have a long handle net (I do now...[Wink]) And most of the folks on this forum a pretty good about sharing info. Maybe not their really secret honey holes, but lots of info that allows the industrious angler to figure out the rest.
Gonna try to hit the river this Friday A.M.
[signature]

Cool
My new small whiskers. 5.5 inches from the bear river refuge. Son entered the contest yesterday and just caught a 27.5 inches with me. I'll post it tomorrow.

[#00bf00]Man Ahi might have a competitor with you and your son, don't know many others that get out as often as he does, but looks like you're right there with him... BTW fish is good at 5.5 points and the lead for the small fish trophy..[/#00bf00]
[signature]
good one for the small cat. Would of liked to have seen jr. haul in the 27 1/2 with that light rod he's using must of been a battle.
[signature]
It's been a good rod so far I caught my 29 on that rod too. He's hooked to catfishing btw.[fishon]
[signature]
Seems like the cats are spawning now because the cats aren't pulling, anyone experiencing this atm?
[signature]
My instinct was right. Great night on the river. 8 fish between 18 and 23 inches. None for me to record but what a blast.
[signature]
Bear river refuge. Sorry for the bad picture, son was taking it and released the fish before I checked the camera. Was pushing 26.5 but I'm fine with 26. Caught first 2 mins after that nada for 5 hrs lol.

[#00bf00]Like you said, it's not a good picture, you need to watch the other end of the tape, this one has the tape sticking past the nose a spell... with the lighting I really can't tell where the fish starts and the tape lines up... It looks like 25.5 points to me... But I'll give you 26 points... As many fish as you guys are catching, you should build a bump board, it will make it easier to score... Later J[/#00bf00]
[signature]