Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
one man pontoon sink or float?
have always loved fishing since the first time my grandpa took me fishing. I dont mean to brag but I would say I am an experienced fisherman. it has been yrs since I had a boat I had some health issue and haven't fished for years But My G-kids are older so I decided to start fishing again. I got a few new rods and reels and a bunch of new tackle Took my oldest grandson fishing last week. and I got the bug Really Really bad. The FISHING BUG. I got it right after our first trip this year. and I wake up every morning wanting to grab a rod and go fishing. enough about me I tend to ramble. I no longer have a boat so I started looking at float tubes and one man pontoon . We live in Virginia, I am 10 min away from the James river some of the best smallmouth fishing upstream and 80lb + catfish down stream. My grandson is 15 and has a a Kayak, I have limited mobility and a kayak wont work for me Im not the young strong and agile guy I was yrs ago, Im 6'1 270 lbs my question is how would a one man pontoon(like I have linked) ride and handle in the water with me on it ? My intentions are to take full days this summer and fish and float 3-4 miles down river every chance I get. even though I am an experienced fisherman this is new to me and I know I will learn what works and what wont but I dont want my first mistake to be buying a float that wont work can someone tell me what I can expect if I buy and fish with thishttps://www.cabelas.com/product/CLASSIC-...lsrc=aw.ds
any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated
[signature]

Watch a bunch of youtube videos to learn how to fish from one of them

With that said I don't think that is enough boat for a 270 lb fellow. I have no suggestions on what to get but make sure it is rated high enough for you and whatever you might take with you i.e. lunch/gear etc.
[signature]
I bet this would work for him:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
[signature]
For Cabela pontoon, the weight capacity is too low, need something over 400 lb capacity. the pontoons are too short and have too much of a curve instead of being straight. if you lean forward over one of the pontoons to land a fish, the Cabela pontoon will submerse to the tip and possibly flip over. North Fork Outdoors may have some large float tubes that would be lighter in weight and more stable, plus easier to handle. You will enjoy this kind of fishing, it is a lot of fun!
[signature]
[#0000FF]You have had some good input. I'm a couple of inches taller and about the same weight. I have fished many different float tubes and pontoons.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The pontoon you referenced might serve you well on a small farm pond...using fins and oars as propulsion. But if you plan to use it on moving water you would be wise to get a larger and sturdier craft...one that can mount and use an electric motor...with a heavy battery. If there are any concerns for mobility, strength, stamina or potential medical problems, having an electric motor for longer hauls and backup in case of need is a good idea.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thx everyone for the input, it helps a lot I would rather have a tube that will hold me and be sturdy and comfortable, I would rather wait a few weeks till I can afford a more expensive better built float that to spend $300 and wind up with a big pool float. Ill keep you updated thx again
[signature]