Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry - 06/08/2018
Took the tube to Strawberry on Friday morning. Fished 7:30a to about 1:30p… it was looking pretty bleak for a while. Nabbed 1 early on a Carey Special, but largely struck out throughout a massive Chironomid hatch. I had to tell myself that there must be so many naturals in the water that the fish simply cannot locate my flies. [laugh]

Even more frustrating were so many fish feeding at the surface and I could not entice a single one of these to hit either. Really loaded up the fly drying patch during this stretch.

Water temp was 53* F when I launched, and figuring that Callibaetis should be on the menu by now I started slow trolling (creeper gear) a #12 mayfly nymph along with a #8 olive Wooly Bugger and started hitting fish almost right away. In fact I broke off the first out of surprise overreaction Roland Martin style hookset. Around 10:45a the action kicked in…. Callibaetis nymphs were suddenly everywhere bobbing up to the surface tension among the spent midge shucks and the action was non-stop until I kicked back to shore around 1:00p.

Final tally was 18 in the net (12 Cutts, 6 Rainbows) and all but 2 were in the 18-21 inch range. The big Rainbows were particularly exciting… successive cartwheels followed but scorching runs into the backing. Fish were pretty much split across the 2 flies. Not sure the depth of water I was in, but I like to call it the beginning of the abyss… I see bottom/weeds on one side, and the deep blue sea on the other.

A few pic’s attached…
[signature]
Thanks for the report and photos. Nice fish.

it's a good thing you hung in there and figured them out.

Were you using floating line with your combination?

I haven't made it over to Strawberry yet, I have to much trouble passing up Starvation.[Wink]
[signature]
[quote gofish435]

Were you using floating line with your combination?

[/quote]

No, I was fishing them on an intermediate line (slow sink rate... about 2in/sec).
[signature]
Nice job!!
[signature]
Sounds like the day we had Thursday before memorial day. Type II sinking line ,and crystal buggers , purple worked the best for me.

I didn't get on the water until noon, and nothing much going on until around 2, then it lit up, yes they were all mostly 18-21, and had more go then I have seen in cutthroats for awhile . A couple nice rainbows in the mix. I know I got more then 1 and less then 30 to the net in about three hours .[Smile]

But I have had days on Strawberry when it was easy to keep count [Wink]
[signature]
Nice pictures
[signature]
[quote up2nogood]

But I have had days on Strawberry when it was easy to keep count [Wink]

[/quote]

Oh yeah... we have all had those.

Those are the best bird-watching days. [laugh]
[signature]
Those are some great pictures of some nice fish! Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
What a day! Thanks for the super-helpful report and great pictures. And also the Roland Martin reference. I have broken more than a few tippets by emulating him.
[signature]
Nice report and pics. Ive never trailed anything other than a smaller bugger or leech. Do you think a hares ear or pheasant tail would work? Those are mayfly nymphs right?
[signature]
[quote fishman]Nice report and pics. Ive never trailed anything other than a smaller bugger or leech. Do you think a hares ear or pheasant tail would work? Those are mayfly nymphs right?[/quote]

Absolutely. Both have their time, but the Hare's Ear is a stellar imitation of the Callibaetis nymph so common in many lakes (including Strawberry).

Size 12-14 to start... get smaller throughout the season.
[signature]