Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crane falls or Cove arm?
Headed to C.J. Strike tomorrow for my first time. Got a recommendation to fish the Cove Arm and Crane Falls. I won’t have a boat. Which place is better off the bank?
I would welcome any advice. I’ve been a trout guy most of my life so it will be a new experience.

Thanks in advance
[signature]
You'll drive past Crane to get to Cove arm. Cove arm has better shore access but not much camping. Both should have trout, Crane has largemouth and panfish too. Cove arm is connected to the reservoir so has all the fish CJ has. Have fun, we always enjoy the area. Drive slow the road is awful.
[signature]
Good stuff, thanks Nook.
[signature]
[quote aintnonookie]

Cove arm is connected to the reservoir so has all the fish CJ has. Have fun, we always enjoy the area. Drive slow the road is awful.

[/quote]

Have you heard of sturgeon being caught in Cove Arm? I destroyed a tire on my boat trailer hitting a point of lava rock that comes right up next to the road (being generous calling it a road) just before reaching Cove Arm.
[signature]
I'm sure sturgeon get in there but I can't say I've ever hear of anyone catching one. There's a popular sturgeon hole just out in front of it. Most people fishing Cove wouldn't have the gear to fight one and would be broke off before they even knew what they had. Then again Avery did land a 6 footer last year on a 5 1/2' Ugly Stik and 6# line.

Soda - Crane, trout off the pump house and gills off the south docks. Trophy bass, watch regs, but I think it would take a float tube to target those.
Cove, perch in front of the boat ramp if you can cast far enough to reach the 15' hole. Crappie off the dike under the tree on the river side. The entire east side shore is good for a little of everything, just keep moving along until you find a school of something. We like to wade the west shore for bass. Good luck!
Rod
[signature]
I was just questioning your statement about all of the CJ fish being in Cove Arm. I fish the area frequently for sturgeon and caught a couple large perch in Cove Arm, earlier this year for sturgeon bait.
[signature]
Your better off boating to cove arm from loveridge bridge. Way faster.
[signature]
Agree with Rod on the hot spots. Sturgeon fishing on the river side at the Cove arm entrance. As for the travelling downriver I'd agree but the USS Trent doesn't go back upriver!
[signature]
Yep, that is the way that I always go unless I am concerned about the wind coming up. I don't want to cross that big bay in a strong wind.
[signature]
I always launch at black sands, their burgers are amazing.
[signature]
Not worth the extra gas that I would need to burn to boat to where I fish.
[signature]
When I go to Strike I fish from the loveridge to jacks creek in my bass boat. Don’t sturgeon fish down there with Gertrude, there better Fishing closer to home.
[signature]