Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anderson Ranch
Ran up to Anderson on Sunday with the family. Lots of boats but I didn't see a lot of kokanee landed. Talked to 3 guys who hadn't caught a fish all day. We caught 6 and they were all really nice size. Fished from 9:30 To 2:30. 40 feet down seemed to be the depth. Also found some perch and bass but once you catch some of the monster perch in Cascade it isn't as much fun catching smaller ones😁
[signature]
That's a beautiful lake there, thanks for the report, how long were the ones you caught? Last time I was there they were 11 to 13".
[signature]
This year there are a lot of fish pushing 17 inches.
[signature]
That was my experience as well. 3 poles in the water from 11:30 until 3:30 and we ended up with 6 fish. 5 good ones and one little 7 incher we drug around for so long he was spent so we kept him. We caught all our fish at between 27 to 32 ft deep. When the bite died at about 1330 we saw most of the fish around 40 ft deep so we dropped the gear down but couldn't buy a bite? This is my first year kokanee fishing so definitely not an expert but we talked to one set of guys at the Mountain home Wal-Mart that fished that morning from 5:30 am until 930 am and only ended up with 2 fish. Said they caught 17 one day on the weekend before. We were fishing the curlew area.
[signature]
Wiperhunter2
Early May was the last time I was up there before this trip and we were catching 11 to 13 inch fish then. This trip the 5 bigger fish were between 15 and 16.5 inches and much fatter.
[signature]
I haven't fished it for a few years but use to try making a trip up at least once a summer for the kokes. The limit use to be 25 with 50 in possession, I first starting fishing for Kokanee there in 1966 when I got stationed at MT. Home AFB.
[signature]
Wow, that is pretty good size there. Have you heard of anyone catching any of those bigger Chinook they put in there?
[signature]
Thanks for the info and welcome to the site Trollhntr.
[signature]
Only heard of one in March being caught and we had 2 on in march but 10lb leader material wasn't good enough for those sharp teeth both fish had the rod doubled over and pulling drag but sawed through the line in about 15 seconds even though we didn't touch the drag. We were still getting the other lines in when they got off(just roughed up at the end of the line and just about as much leader material that we started with so just the squid was gone) .I suspect that happens a lot and thats why we don't hear of more being caught. We caught a lot of the 11 to14 inchers this spring and most were on the lead core line at 50 ft back. Same with the 2 that broke us off both on the lead core setup 50 ft back.
[signature]
Wow, that is crazy, might have to start tying the squids up with braided line, if they cut through mono line that easy. Glad to hear some folks are at least getting them on, makes me wonder if anyone is getting them in or all are being cut off like that.
[signature]
I've had 3 break me off so far this year.

I'm tying all my squid on 15lb leaders now. Still not enough........ [Sad]
[signature]
Wow, that's crazy, do you think tying up your squids with braided line would work[:/]? It will be interesting to find out how big these fish are getting, when one in finally landed.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Wow, that's crazy, do you think tying up your squids with braided line would work[:/]? It will be interesting to find out how big these fish are getting, when one in finally landed.[/quote]

I don't know. I'm not a fan of braid. Thrown all mine away.

I think my biggest problem used to be that I had my drags too tight. Now my problem is remembering to loosen the drag while actually trolling.
[signature]
They have some new braid line that looks more like mono than braid, I haven't tried it yet but I will the next time up up there at Anderson. Last week we were up near Idaho city looking for land to buy. Just about sent you a PM because you live near my son in Nampa but we were only there a few days.
[signature]
Would be happy to greet you f2f. I was probably up at Anderson. Lol.

Was a slow weekend for me. 4 rods in the boat fishing sun up until dark with only a couple hours break on Friday, and sun up until about 11:30 on Saturday and only boated 7 kokes, 1 rainbow, 2 bass, and a few small chinook.
[signature]
Great, I'll contact you the next time I'm up there and we can at least talk. So you have caught some chinook, awesome, how long were they?
The line I was talking about is Berkley Nanofil but there is also Sufix Nanobraid. What I read about it is that Nanofil is made with hundreds of dyneema microfibers, the tiny filaments are linked at the molecular level and shaped into a unified strand, creating a silky smooth exterior.
Nanobraid on the other hand is composed of densely braided HMPE fibers, it is round, slick, thin and stronger than conventional braids.
As I said, I have not tried either of these braids but from the description above, they sound totally different from any braid I have used in the past. Next time I get to my local sporting goods store I'm going to see if I take a look at some of this new line.
[signature]
Biggest Chin I have personally caught is around 17 inches and went back into the lake. All the "big ones" have broken off. There were several days this spring when I caught more Chin's than kokes. Since summer kicked in, not too many chin's and not nearly as many kokes as I'd like. They don't seem to be schooled up this summer like there were in the spring or last summer. If they are schooled up like they were, then I'm not finding the schools.
[signature]
That 17 inches is pretty good compared to the kokes caught there but how big do you think the Chin's can get? I know as the temps go up the salmon go deeper but you would think they could still be found, what is the deepest water you have found there at Anderson?
[signature]
I was catching at 50 and 60 feet last year. This year seems most the fish are around 40 or less. Get one once in a while deeper, but not too often.

Deepest spots are near the dam. I don't recall the depth as I only fished there once and did zero catching that day. But I think it is around or possibly in excess of 200 feet. I commonly see depths in excess of 100 feet around lime creek. Should only get deeper as you move to the dam from there.

I would not be surprised to catch a Chin some day soon in excess of 30 inches, but that is purely a guess.
[signature]
Wow, a 30"er would be a monster, hope you are the one to catch it.
[signature]