Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard has big cats too!!
Wiperslayer and I got out there last week and we decided to flig it, since TubeDude has been doing so good, we could not let him have all the fun. It has been very slow for other fish anyway, so we went for the numbers and the cats did not disappoint us. We got there a little after 6am and it was game on right off the bat, we started out fishing around the Island but move over to Freeway bay where we caught one fish after another, having several doubles and triples, it was an awesome day, we decided that we had enough fun by 12:30 and headed in. Saw Fatbiker at the cleaning station and he was cleaning some cats.
Anyway that was last week, got a PM from from Ira yesterday, he had been out with other friends and had another great day on the Bay, Brad latched on to a big cat over 31", thought I'd share the pics of that big one.
[signature]
I knew there was a good one in there.
[signature]
[#0000FF]That is a healthy looking kitty.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Used to be lots of 30 inch plus cats in Willard. It was a rare trip that I didn't catch something 10# plus. A lot more bigger walleye then too. Here's a pic of one of each caught on a late afternoon trip out of the north marina in October one year. The cat was at least a couple of inches over 30.

[/#0000FF]
[inline "FALL FISHING ON WILLARD.JPG"]
[#0000FF][/#0000FF]
[signature]
What did you use for bait?
[signature]
I wasn't there when the big cat was caught but I think they were using cut bait, likely chub meat.
[signature]
I remember hearing guys that had similar stories from the 80's of limits of 10 lb cats, hard to imagine that today but I remember you caught a good one like that last year I believe.
[signature]
Wow. Haven't seen a cat that size come out of there for awhile.
[signature]
[#0000FF]The one I caught in 2016 was right at 28". I released it so it might be bigger now.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[inline "WILLARD MONSTER.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Wow, can't believe it has been two years already, since you caught your big cat. I found out today that Brad's big cat was released as well.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yep. Got that one off Eagle Beach after the school crowd was thinned out on August 25 of 2016. ([url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=987485;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]LINK TO REPORT[/url]) I was trying some new painted plastic shad and got wipers, cats and a walleye the same day. That big cat was wearing a chartreuse crank bait lip ornament but still slurped my plastic. Not sure if he was mad when I removed and kept his lip jewelry.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Looking forward to trying that area again this year after the school crowd decline.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]