Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Lincoln report
Fished Lincoln today. I have seen several boats launch during the past week so decided to take my own risk and launch in a "closed" area, no citation, no arrest, and no other criminals on the water.

I decided to try a bank tangling trip last Monday night... mistake! Drove to my chosen spot and the midge swarms were so thick I kept my doors locked, turned around and made it home in time for the second half of the football game. The midge swarms were so think i couldn't penetrate them with the headlights of my truck; so many of them plastered on my grill and windshield it took two trips through the car was to partially remove them.

Launched at 7:30 this a.m.and the water was much better, glassy calm, 69 degrees at launch and warmed to 71 by noon. The blue-goo algae at the end of the launch was bad. It has collected in the launch channel and with no place to dissipate it is slowly percolating along the shoreline. Ugly and dangerous stuff. I launched with no problem and did so without touching the water with anything but my boat and trailer. The water depth on my finder showed 1.6-8 feet deep all the way out. Raised my prop a bit and made it out without leaving a muddy trail. The water was greenish as soon as I left the launch channel. I fished in my kayak one week ago out in front of the first spring and the water looked like raw sewage... much better today.

Fishing was good. I dragged carplets and wb in 5-6 feet of water westward toward the orchard. Did okay but kinda slow and nothing big. Headed for the island, same thing -- several fish but nothing longer than 25-6 inches.

I headed east about a mile or so from the launch channel and found fish in 5-6 feet of water. I caughta lota fish but best was a 27 incher. The fish I caught were feisty, fat, and ready for a fight. Most were big greenish females with big white bellies. Many of them held immediate promise of a 30+er the way they took out line and held tight to the bottom -- fun.

Bottom line-- launching is possible with caution and there is good fishing in deeper water. Not sure how much longer the water will be deep enough to launch in the channel. I will probably switch over to my kayak if it drops much lower. A night trip would be impossible because of the midges... really bad; we need a good light frost to dispose of them.

Ennyhow, the search goes on. Some cool weather will hopefully trigger a fall feeding frenzy -- I'll be there.

BLK
[signature]
Good to hear a Lincoln report. Thought maybe you were fishing or hunting. My new ride will be ready soon. My new trolling motor is on the way. Hopefully 70# thrust will be enough to power a 18’ boat. Starting all over buying tackle and setting up a new boat has been an adventure. Costly too. But almost there. Glad to know you are plugging away. Tight Lines and a few 30+ers.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Whatta guy! Glad you are keeping those kitties exercised. Hope the water conditions improve soon.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]For what it's worth, I am working with our contact at the state division of forestry, fire and state lands. He was able to get us permission to launch off the rocks when water levels get too low to use the boat channel. He is in the process of coordinating with the county and sheriffs to show leniency to us fishing folks. When he emails me the confirmation I will pass it along for anyone who wants to make a copy.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Hope to get back down there soon myself.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey Lynn, Thanks for a great report and pushing the envelope.... Glad you found some good cats too.... Good luck on the 30's... Later J
[signature]
Thanks for the report! I'm glad you were able to keep out of the goo and catch some good fish. I don't understand why those 30+ are eluding you. They can't hide forever!
[signature]
I, for one, am excited about your adventure in getting a new boat and etc. I'd love to hear about (or see) what you've got. Feels a little like a vicarious Christmas present [Smile].
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.