Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport
After reading the Trib yesterday that said Rockport was only 37% full. I thought I'd do a drive by while on our way to the Uintas.. From the west side (highway) it looks like the ramp is still usable but I've never seen the water so low. Never saw anyone fishing or any boats on the water.
[signature]
Don't need to fish from a boat! With the water dropping, the crayfish are relocating and everybody, SMB, Perch, Trout, are all feeding in the shallows, gorging on the moving crawdads. Walk along the shoreline, swimming a grub or small swimbait on a 3/16 or 1/4 oz. jig hd. Cast out and just swim it back. 20-30 fish days possible. Some of the best fishing you will have this fall !!!
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I talked to the Park Manager a couple days ago. He said that the docks were pulled last week and when he pulled the park boat out his truck was backed in enough that he could see water in front of the truck. The bottom of the ramp flattens out and is covered with 6 to 8 inches of silt making it necessary to back your truck completely into the lake to launch. He strongly recommended against trying it.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Our choices for boat fishing are becoming VERY limited this year. Jordanelle is still up around 70% capacity and Strawberry isn't having any low water issues either. I'll pass on driving over 2 hours to Strawberry just to catch fish I can't keep. I might have to make a couple of trips to Jordanelle and Bear Lake over the next month or so. Also, the obscene over charging for launching a boat at Pineview stops at the end of this month and the crappie there are begging us to catch them.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font] [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]And duck season starts in 2 weeks, so I won't be without things to do. [Wink][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[quote dubob][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [/#800000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]And duck season starts in 2 weeks, so I won't be without things to do. [Wink][/#800000][/font] [/quote]

Do you still have a lease at the Harrison. I gave mine up 3 years ago. Mostly just fish now.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I did not renew this year. Developed several other options in Weber County making the cost not worth it anymore. I absolutely LOVED the 12 years I hunted there. Great bunch of folks and quality hunts.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Hey Bob -- tks for the info on the ramp there at Rockport...I've looked forward to the good trolling there in the Fall the past several seasons, and sure would hate to miss it this year.....So....may just have to launch my canoe like I usually do just in the early Spring, and see what happens....Cramps, can't stand up, hard to even stretch, no downriggers, tough to steer in the wind, can't reach my bait, tackle box, drink, snacks, net, (and here insert anything else you'd normally have in your boat)....Cheese and Rice!!....I may as well not even go!...Well, maybe I'll try it just once...but if you see that red flag wavin', come check on me!...(and I'll have my camo waders ready in 2 weeks)...Guluk...
[signature]
I was at the boat ramp today at Rockport, and I dont think anyone could launch a boat. Two guys thought about launching their canoe and saw how far down from the launch the water is and deep mud around the waters edge. I found a small rocky spot to launch my float tube. Be prepared to hike anything you want to get on the water with.
Gabe
[signature]
tks for good intel -- maybe I'll just go to the Uinta's a couple more times.....did you do any good?
[signature]