Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado trapping Utah ruffed grouse
Just got back from grouse hunting around Current Creek Reservoir. My Brittany Ginger and I hunted hard for three days and we saw a total of four ruffed grouse. Worst outing up there ever. All my go-to honey holes were a total bust. The Colorado Fish and Game was all over the place there trapping ruffed grouse that our DWR is trading for sharptail grouse. I can't say if their efforts impacted my hunt or not, but I think they are getting the better part of the deal. I'd just like to know where all the grouse are hiding.
[signature]
I have found some ruffed in the Blind Stream bottoms near Hanna--thick stuff, but then it usually is where they hang out. I don't know what your experience is, but we have found mountain grouse around currant bushes and areas with a lot of grasshoppers. Around waterholes goes without saying.

The sharptail are pretty rare these days so maybe the trade isn't such a bad deal after all. I'll never shoot one, but it makes me feel good just knowing that they are there.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

That's a bad trade, sharp tail taste like crap while the little ruff grouse are great eating.[:/]
[signature]