Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Marina and Fish Pond
I happened to be visiting Bear Lake yesterday and broke away mid-day for some shore fishing. I went to the State Marina and did some casting of the East rocks. I did a lot of casting with a Blue Fox spinner for a couple hours. I caught one 15” native cut (see photo) and no other bumps after that. He went swimming of course. I saw lots of fishing boats tolling past me about 40 yards off the rocks. I did not see any catching going on the whole time. It wasn’t a good time of day for fishing. Sunny day and beautiful water; always nice be out in the clean air.

Just for fun I stopped by the Garden City pond for the casting. There were a half dozen folks there. Some were catching a few off the surface by slowly retrieving flies behind a bobber. Every single fish I saw was a 6” long rainbow. I took the smallest grub I had and cut in half and put the tail section on the smallest hook I had. I got hits but none would stick because I needed smaller sharper hooks. Small flies with small sharp hooks are best. Every fish was being thrown back because nothing was even pan sized. I was surprised that DWR didn’t stock something at least pan sized in that pond. The kids were having fun fishing so that is important. The pond is small and only about 5’ deep max in the very middle. It is also chalked full of water weeds (at least 60% by volume). I would speculate that all fish might winter kill and if not there is not enough natural food to allow them to grow large. If they would dreg it about twice as deep and stalk fish 12-14 inches it would be very nice.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, the catching should really improve there off the State Parks marina rocks, as the spawn happens. As far as the Garden City pond, we fished it before, during the Winter and always did good, even though they were just planters, I'm pretty sure it does not Winter kill. Not sure the DWR ever plants more than those small fish in those little ponds but I have seen them plant some big Broodstock fish in ponds that are a little bigger and deeper.
[signature]