Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chillin' on Willard 11-9-18
[#0000ff]Wanted to do an ABC (anything but cats) run on Willard this week. Meticulously massaged the weather forecasts and decided on today. It worked. A CCC day...calm, clear, cold. But it was also an SSS day...no skeeters, no skiers and no skunk.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Air temp 24 as I launched alongside WH2 and his crew Wiperslayer. Almost got to see WH2 do a triple klutz on the frost covered docks as he came down to get on the boat. He moves pretty good for an old fat man. But that's what they say about me too. Water temp 46 at launch, fighting its way to almost 48 at noon departure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The two guys in the only boat on the lake headed south to Freeway Bay. I began working just off the channel entrance...looking for perch or walleye. Found neither. But did pick up a couple of non-ABC candidates (catfish) not long after starting.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The water was like glass...with little dimples here and there as young shad were either feeding or dying. Either way, the terns accepted the invitation and there were constant splashdowns all over the lake as the birds gathered the morning groceries.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Tons of shad on sonar too. There were not many times I looked at my screen today and did not see thick lines of shad...on the bottom, middepth or near the top. Good for the predators. Not good for fisherfolk.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The boys in the boat had been moving around and looking for likely marks on sonar. Tried a couple of spots without results. So they motored back over in my vacinity and promptly caught first a catfish and then a nice smallie. But they had the bad judgment of catching the fish between me and the sun so my picture ain't so great.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After that, we worked off in different directions. We both caught plenty of chilly cats, but nothing else seemed to want to play. Then I found a small hump in deeper water and it had some "interesting" fishy marks on it. They produced a couple of "rattle rattle" hits...and then a hookup that turned into a porky 13" perch. Yee hawww. A few minutes later I hooked another one...even bigger. But it was less experienced and didn't know how to get the hook solidly...coming off as I reached for it with the net. I was confident I had found a pile of perch and could load up. Fake confidence. Only got the one and I couldn't find any more similar looking marks. Maybe next time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was able to score a few cats on a couple of the new "spin fligs" I was trying. They have a little propeller spinner...like a Whistle Jig. I got good feelings about their potential for the future.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I talked to Curt and Ira a little before I got off the water at noon, they said they had caught about 13 cats for the boat...but nothing of any real size. I got 7 or 8 for my "boat". Bless those kitties for coming to play when the snooty species snub ya.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was a bluebird day, and did not see many waterfowl flying. Did hear a few early blasts from the quacker whackers in the marshes but the action did not last long.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Did get to watch a few deer come down to the water's edge at Eagle Beach. Love the nature part of fishing.
[/#0000ff] [signature]
Way to go finding an ABC fish or two and thanks for the report. Is it hard to stay on a spot with your craft or do you think they just moved on?

Chillin is right though. Those air and water temps reminded me of my dip in the lake a few weeks back[Tongue]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff] Almost got to see WH2 do a triple klutz on the frost covered docks as he came down to get on the boat. He moves pretty good for an old fat man. But that's what they say about me too.
[/#0000ff] [/quote]
Hey, I resemble that remark[Wink]. Good seeing you out there today Pat, thanks for the passoff of the samples, we will put them to good use. We ended up with two more after talking to you. That SMB was a pleasant surprise but none of those foot long perch wanted to play with us today[Sad]. Last week when we were out there we also saw those deer, very near the location where you found them today, looks like they have found a safe place to set up home. I just got off the phone with James Morgan, the Willard park manager, I wanted to ask him a few questions about ice fishing Willard this Winter but I also got some good info that you and other members will be interested in. I'll make a separate post about this, a lot of folks might be interested.
[signature]
[#0000FF]On a calm day it is easier to hold over a specific spot or area. There were floating items on the water surface as well as me watching my sonar. But I have marker buoys for times when there is a breeze to complicate things.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I was wearing fingerless rag wool gloves but they were not enough for my fingertips. Had to break out a couple of my "Hot Hands" hand warmer packs and put one in each side of my hooded sweatshirt. Then I could stick my tender digits in the pockets for a quick thaw when they got too chilled. The good news was that as soon as the sun popped over the hill the radiant heat warmed things up quickly. I was able to take my gloves off by mid morning.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you guys could join me today...and that you got some tugs...even if they were mostly of the whiskery kind.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]There is a fair little herd of deer that hang out in the overgrown areas of the campground. I always take it easy on the last few yards of the road before turning to the ramp because I have had some near misses with those dear deers. They seem to be almost tame and do not show good judgment when crossing roads.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Great report Pat, had I known I should have joined you today, but I went walking on water instead. However I brought home the skunk. Congrats. J
[signature]